Quick Fix for Rips in Vinyl Boat Seats - Suggestions ?

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1986 bowrider with vinyl seats. Its in overall good condition and the motor is excellent after having everything worked on. Only problem now is that I have some rips and tears in the vinyl seat. Since I am not really looking to restore the boat or to re-upholster the seats, I was wanting a quick fix to get through the summer with it. I placed duct tape over the rips so they didn't get any worse and would cover up the opening to the foam underneath. Problem is that in this hot Georgia heat, the duct tape is melting and getting sticky and sliding off the vinyl seats. Anyone know of anything else I can do for a quick fix to cover up the rips / tears in the vinyl seats. I am not looking to spend a lot of money to restore - just a quick cheap fix to make it look ok and get through the season. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated.

oldjeep

Admiral
To fix a rip in the part of the seat that takes the load the easiest way would be to take some of the staples out and glue a patch from the backside of the vinyl and then use a vinyl repair kit to seal up the outside.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Good suggestion by Oldjeep. If that doesn't work, I say make the time to either reupholster OR put some stretch to fit cover over them. If you don't do something with them now, you will be doing a lot more down the road. They will deteriorate pretty quickly with the weather getting inside. And I as well live in middle Georgia and it is amazing how hot it is this summer. I can't get much done myself. :eek:

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Using gorilla tape now - in silver (since the seats are grey) - and that's what is melting from the heat.... I don't want to have to take staples out and redo the seats either.... Was hoping there was a stronger tape, or large vinyl patches with glue from somewhere....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cheap walmart blanket and a staple gun, cover the whole seat for now. remove seat and properly re-upholster this fall.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could use some artificial intimation genuine Naugahyde with some staples. :facepalm:

Jerry200LX

Seaman Apprentice
You have already done the worst thing possible by putting tape on the seats. It always leads to a big sticky mess. You will need something like lacquer thinner to get the mess off and it's not going to be good for the vinyl at all. I charge people a few bucks extra labor to upholster seats that come in with tape on them because of the mess. If it's not cleaned off before you even start on the seats the sticky mess gets on everything it touches.

Get a large curved needle and some upholstery size thread and pull the rips and tears back together by hand stitching then seal the seam with some vinyl repair glue.