New Boat I want my cake and to eat it too

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
OK I'm approaching retirement and I've sold my glider and looking to get back into a original hobby, boating. When I retire I am going to divide my time between southern VT (with big lake) summer and NC (SE coast) fall, winter and spring. I have two options (on a budget of course) 1) have a primary power boat in NC that can handle the bays off and near shore off of Cape Fear NC (not into long distance off shore fishing) and not tow it to VT. Then in VT get a inexpensive aluminum runabout to get 4 people and a dog on the lake. Leave the second boat in VT. Or Option 2 get an all around 15 to 17 foot boat like a Whaler Super Sport or Dauntless with a 60 to 90 HP and tow it back and forth (about 900 miles each way) with a medium size SUV 2x per year. I really like the info I have read about the Boston Whale Super Sport 150 but it looks a little small. Two boats means 2x the maintenance, 1 boat means lots of long distance trailering.

Any thoughts ? In NC I have free boat storage, in VT I would have to winterize and pay for storage bin the winter but in the summer it is free. In both places I would have to trailer it to boat ramps. Obviously there are a lot of factors here (trailering), storage, type of boat. New vs used. Inboard vs out board. I need to get started somewhere and have some time before I get into this seriously. I'm not married to Whaler but as a New Englander its the power boat I grew up with. This forum seems like a good place to start.

Thx

jbcurt00

Staff member
...... I have two options (on a budget of course) .....
Probably need to post the all in budget.

Random #s

2 $5K boats or 1 $10K boat? Those are drastically different boats 5K vs 10K.

Does the busget include having to buy a tow vehicle? As you'll have to trailer and launch boat in both states, you'll have to have a tow vehicle in each state even if you dont drag the boat north and south 2X/yr.

Is the cost of winter storage in VT more or less expensive then the extra gas to tow the boat? And the hassle of a 900mi tow, 2X/yr?

If I could afford 2 tow vehicles, 2 boats, and fly rather then drive 2X/yr, that would be my personal preference.

Used depends on condition condition condition.

2 boats 900miles apart makes maintenance on both difficult to have ready to go when you get to either place. If you can pay someone to winterize/store and prep boats, then that needs to be considered part of a budget.

And for sure 2 boats doubles the cost of maintenance.

Suppose its a good problem to have.

Congrats on the pending retirement and the move to NC part time.

Where in SE NC? I love Ocean Isle. Not nearly as commercial as much of the NC/SC coastline.

Welcome to iboats

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iboats, Quagfwl.

Figure in double insurance and boat/trailer registration, too. Dollar-wise one boat might be the way to go. And boats that are used have far less maintenance issues than idle boats. And outboards require less maintenance, especially when trailered and used in salt.

Two towing trips per year with no deadlines to meet and a boat that's ready to go when you arrive would be a plus for me.

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
In NC its near Southport and Holden Beach. VT its Wilmington. The drive back and forth with a trailer would be a pain but you are right I could take it slow. I guess what I am considering is a used 15 to 17 foot whaler to use in NC with a 60 to 90 HP and then trailer to VT or leave it in NC and get a smaller aluminum fishing boat to get us out on the lake in VT. BTW I have a reasonable budget but not a big one. I really like the idea of 1 boat but trailering something that is 1300 to 1800 lbs 900 miles each way 2x year bears some careful planning. For the budget I'm thinking the use Whaler would be 15k to 20K and the VT boat 5 to 6K. Or just stick with a nice Whaler. Any other suggestions beside Whaler.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are many other options besides a BW that will cost much less for the same, or better quality.

One good boat, a 900 mile tow isn't hard or complicated, especially with that small of a boat.

And yes, 15' is too small.

Bad Pete

Seaman Apprentice
There are many other options besides a BW that will cost much less for the same, or better quality.

One good boat, a 900 mile tow isn't hard or complicated, especially with that small of a boat.

And yes, 15' is too small.
Any suggestions besides BW I'm already thinking 17 ft

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
When in NC see what boats they like there for the type of fishing/boating you want to do. Local knowledge is best when it comes brand and design.