excessive water in bilge for a while now

mattymuch

Cadet
I have a 1985 Four Winns. since I bought this boat 4 years ago lots of water has leaked into the bilge. The bellows is not the problem. this has been on going since day one. the drive has been on and off each year by 3 different marinas for bellows and this leak. Also last year had a brand new SEI complete drive installed. about 3 weeks ago I cracked my bell housing loading the boat. The lower part of the drive bumped the concrete just a little bit causing it to crack. So this time I had everything replaced. This will be the second set of all new bellows in 4 years, also replaced was water pipe shift cable bell housing, gimbal ring, gimbal bearing everything except for the gimbal housing was replaced. It still takes on the same amount of water as it did before, we are talking 2-3 gallons over 12-15hours boat stays docked. The drain tube I would believe is the original brass, and for the plug I just use a bronze rubber screw type. Could my drain tube be causing this much water to enter the bilge? I've inspected the transom inside and out for any noticeable cracks/etc and all looks good. So for the last few years I've been running this expensive auto bilge setup for peace of mind. Thoughts

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Does the outer transom assembly have some sort of sealant beaded around it?

Drain all water from the bilge and use a sponge to get it all out. Launch boat and tie up to the dock. Get down and look for where the water starts coming into the bilge.

oldjeep

Admiral
That is a lot of water. Does it happen if the boat is just sitting in the water for hours or only when moving? Some boats can get a lot of water in around the rub rail where the 2 pieces of the hull are hooked together.

mattymuch

Cadet
It takes it on both sitting and moving but it takes about 12-15hrs to get that much in the bilge i have sealed around where the gimbal housing enters the transom, there is a brown water stain around the brass drain tube on the outside of the boat. I cant see the water getting in from the rub rail is long way above the water line.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Reason I asked about the sealer put around the outer transom assembly is that's because people do that when it starts leaking there because of a compromised transom due to rotten wood. If that big foam seal between the two isn't keeping water out then a bead of sealer on the outside surely won't, it will just pull loose from the hull. Does the boat have soft spots in the decking or was it decked over in the past (double decked)?

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you tried a new transom plug? I've seen a lot where it couldn't be tightened up before pushing the lever in and it would leak. For the $3.50 they cost me I replace them every year.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We had a boat last year that was taking on water and we checked every possible spot. She didn't take on water docked. It came down to the small opening for a transducer cable. A cleaning of old caulk and a dab of new and problem solved until we could move the opening higher. Under power water would enter it as it was mounted too low in the transom and the wake was perfect to splash onto it. We only found it because I followed closely behind in my boat. It is usually the simplest of things where you would never suspect. It drove us bonkers.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do you have any screws going through the transom below the water line? Like screws holding on a swim platform, or a transducer? These can be good places for water to leak in.

Could always put the boat the boat on the trailer, adjust the trailer so the boat sits like it would in the water and fill the bilge with water. Just fill it to the base of the oil pan. Now crawl around and start looking for leaks.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Check the drain plugs on your engine block and manifolds. If there is a leak , plenty of water would leak out of these over that period of time.

mattymuch

Cadet
Yes i do have a swim platform that's anchored to the transom and i also have 4 underwater lights and bennet marine trim tabs i installed all sealed but i will drain the bilge and look for some leaks this evening.

southkogs

Staff member
Sometimes it's easiest to get it out on the water with an empty bilge, then start looking for the water coming in. A flashlight and sometimes even a digital camera / camera phone can help see what's happening in the hard to reach areas. With gallons coming in like that, you should be able to see something trickling at least.

mattymuch

Cadet
Well I found the leak tonite its on the left side of the transom up pretty high fiberglass is solid there but has some humps and bumps coming through 2 spots a small pin hole and around the factory screw that's there. I have put so much money into this boat over the past few years last thing I wanted to find.. :facepalm:

Last edited:

mattymuch

Cadet
From what i have found the bumps look to be what are called "blisters" or the transom is rotting the opposite side looks really good.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The problem with that screw leaking is, it's on the inside of the transom, so where's the water coming in from the OUTside? I can't imagine that screw going all the way thru- and it's odd (to me) that the screw next to it isn't leaking... or maybe it is?

superbenk

Commander
Looks damp to the left of the black cable under the left screw too. Bummer, doesn't look good.

mattymuch

Cadet
I have an underwater light right in the area, that the sealent failed, im going to start there. Would like to finish out the season without this leak, then decide what im going to do.