DIY Dock Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Hi Everyone,

I am going to make a triangle dock box to mount next to my slip, similar to this one -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-Made-...-/131585776772 but hopefully at a fraction of the cost. My harbor requires them to be premade and of fiberglass, however I have seen many DIY boxes around there. My thoughts were to use 2X4 and 2X2 framing with 1/2" plywood. Then cover the outside with poly resin and CSM and paint white. It should look better than most of the DIY boxes I have seen around there. Should I go with 1708 before the CSM? Any suggestions or better ideas appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Using 2x stock and 1/2 ply will make it plenty strong, but also less room inside. You could use cardboard to make the box shape and cover with plastic. Then fiberglass it all together and add use 1/2 ply on top to hold weight, and on bottom for to secure to the deck.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Using 2x stock and 1/2 ply will make it plenty strong, but also less room inside. You could use cardboard to make the box shape and cover with plastic. Then fiberglass it all together and add use 1/2 ply on top to hold weight, and on bottom for to secure to the deck.

Thanks AllDodge. What type of plastic? Would I use a temporary frame to keep the cardboard from moving or bowing while I am glassing?

alldodge

Staff member
Poly resin will not stick to plastic so any kind of plastic will work, or even saran wrap. Wax paper also works but the wax in the paper can cause bonding issues if another layer was going to be used against that side. Don't thin you will be adding more layers to the wax side so shouldn't be an issue. They also make release agents.

A FG shop made a lid for one of their fork lifts and just left the cardboard on the under side, didn't bother with removing it. You could do similar to the box because its on the inside. Add some resin and just paint it when done

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would be tempted to make a simple aluminum frame work riveted together, wrap first with fleese, then resin. Once dry, coat with 1708 and csm, then fair and paint

However 1/4" plywood sides, 1/2" bottom and staples would be enough structure until you get the 1708 and csm done

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks guys. How many layers of 1708 should I use? I was thinking 2 layers then one layer of CSM.

alldodge

Staff member
Get anything close to 1/4 inch and nothing will hurt it

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Well, I finally started my dock box. I went with 3/4" plywood staple and screwed together with PL at every joint...no support framing. It is very solid. What would you all suggest I do before painting -- epoxy resin only, poly resin and 1708, gel coat...? The harbor's rules require fiberglass in the construction, so I can't just go straight to paint.

20161023_123521_1477251531333_resized.jpg
20161023_123610_1477251533975_resized.jpg
20161023_123638_1477251509792_resized.jpg

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Looks good so far! I would suggest using gas struts to hold it open. I would say probably poly resin. Others may beg to differ though!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
That thing will need a crane to lift when it's done

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, that's going to be heavy, 3/4 plus glass. Guess the good thing is they didn't say how thick the glass needs to be, so suggest make it as thin as you can. If poly then CSM, if Epoxy then just 3 to 6 0z cloth.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Agree, that's going to be heavy, 3/4 plus glass. Guess the good thing is they didn't say how thick the glass needs to be, so suggest make it as thin as you can. If poly then CSM, if Epoxy then just 3 to 6 0z cloth.

Would the csm give me the smoothest finish?

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Do you think I could get away with a few coats of epoxy resin with no glass? ...then white epoxy paint or WOG's rusto recipe.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If you want a baby smooth sheet of glass surface, your going to have to fair it

alldodge

Staff member
Do you think I could get away with a few coats of epoxy resin with no glass? ....

I think it would be fine with just epoxy paint, but your place says it has to be glassed. The how much glass is the question.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you treat your dock box like all that I have ever used, it will need to withstand throwing equipment into it while the exterior gets run into by errant carts (push and golf). I would put a layer of CSM and a layer of 1708 then a final layer of CSM and fair the outside prior to paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.