Is this a good habit ?

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Every Sunday afternoon, before leaving my boat for the week I always put the following breakers to OFF;
My boat is at the marina and connected to 120v/30amp.
Water Pressure Pump 12V; So there is no pressure in the system
Water Heater 120v : No need to heat water for nothing and to extend the life of the heater
Lights 12v & 120v : All Breakers are OFF

I only leave Breakers ON for the Battery Charger 120v & Fridge 12v/120v
I also remove the Water Hose from the Boat Water Inlet Connector.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I turn off the batteries at their switch. I turn off all the 12V loads via the master DC breaker on the panel. Like you, I leave only the battery charger (but not always) and the fridge running on shore power. Disconnecting or shutting off the water to the inlet is a must. The pressure regulator can fail and leak. Doesn't take long to sink you if it does.

All good habits, IMO.

boatman37

Lieutenant
I turn the battery switch to off, only leaving the charger and fridge powered. i don't have an AC/DC panel so everything on 110 has power but i make sure it is all off except those mentioned

shrew

Lieutenant
I permanently disconnected my shore water inlet and capped it off. I keep my fridge and battery charger AC breaker on. My main battery switch is set to the house batteries. My bilge pumps are not hard wired, they are wired through the DC fuse bus which is connected to the battery switch. I want bilge pumps working in the event there is water ingress. I also want true isolation for safety. When I shut the batteries off, I don't want to find a hot lead somewhere. Outlets, water heater, stove breaker and air conditioner are all off.

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you turn off the batteries, what about the bilge pump if you are in the water?

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
If you turn off the batteries, what about the bilge pump if you are in the water?

My boats the bilges are hard wired to the batteries so they will run even if the battery switches are off. You'd want to test this on your boat by shutting the switch off and manually activating the float switch in the bilge.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
What Natesms said.

I do the same, however I kill the shore water with the shut-off valve at the dock and leave the hose connected. I also generally shut off the crank / start battery and just leave the house battery on. I've not yet figured out if that'll prevent the charger from keeping the starter battery maintained. Need to get down there with a multimeter and figure that out.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I take it a step further. We leave nothing in the fridge anyway, so I disconnect from all shore power and water. Batteries should stay well charged for a week without charger.

If I was to leave shore power hooked up, I'd do same as you except again, turn off fridge. Leaving only battery charger.

Bilge pumps are hard wired to batteries.

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for all the response.
My bilge pumps x2 are also Hard Wired to the battery.
I leave my Battery Switch to ALL at the Dock. Maybe I should Switch it to BAT2, that is my House Battery.

''Do you do the coin on the cup full of ice to see if the freezer shut off?''
DeepCMark58A, Sorry I don't understand your comment.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the ice begins to melt, the coin will be below the top of the ice if it refreezes.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Thank you for all the response.
My bilge pumps x2 are also Hard Wired to the battery.
I leave my Battery Switch to ALL at the Dock. Maybe I should Switch it to BAT2, that is my House Battery..

Why do you leave the battery switched on at all? Your fridge works off shore power. Your battery charger works off shore power and should be hard-wired to each battery. Your bilge pump is hard wired to the battery. Turn off EVERYTHING except power to the charger and fridge (if you need to keep it cold).

My .02

Last edited:

Roman2179

Cadet
Since we use the Johnson ULTIMA switches, they always pull a little current from the battery compared to a traditional float switch, I leave the battery charger on. Breakers to everything else are turned off. The battery switches are all set to off as well. The bilge pumps are hard wired to the batteries so they are always on.