Newly installed Bennett SLT tabs

jwadle

Cadet
Hi there,

I just bought and installed the SLT 10 tabs on my 1962 Dyer Glamour girl runabout. First let me tell you, what a HUGE difference that have made. I took it out last night, and it got right up on plane without issue.. Really nice. However I have a couple of questions/concerns.. Its a port hand drive boat and without the tabs installed (and weighted properly) the boat never listed to the port, however it is now. Not all the time, and really only when taking off. It almost feels like the back end is sliding to starboard, and pushing the boat forward and to the port. First time it happened it was a little concerning, but I was able to recover, and then anticipate it going forward. When on plane and moving along it is pretty even. Second thing, is its a bit harder to steer now since I put the tabs on.. Again, not anything that I can not recover from, but just thought it odd.

Here are some facts about the boat.

16.2 foot. Mercruiser 3.0 LX with alpha one gen II outdrive. The beam is about 72 inches, and I installed the tabs 4 inches from the chine. I have them currently set in the middle holes.

I have done a little research and have the following theories:

Maybe I need to adjust the tabs, but which way (holes closest to the transom or further), should I adjust one different from the other?
Does not having the trim "fin" on the outdrive now. It was never there before the tabs, but I read that that can cause the torque/prop steer.
Are the tabs too far from the edge. I mounted them at 4 inches (and more than 8 inches from center), but am wondering if I should have put them closer to the edge.. Does it really matter? (man I hope not, I hated drilling holes in the boat.)
Do two tabs have to be perfectly level with each other? Meaning if one spring cartridge is mounted slightly higher or lower than the other, would have matter. I did use a flat edge to make sure that each were level, but the top mount is maybe a 1/8 of an inch or so higher on one side. I attributed that to the bottom maybe being a little different on one side (after 52 years who knows) or the waterline sticker (where I mounted them) being a little off.

I attached some pics. One of the whole boat, one of the port side tab and one of the entire back end.

Thank you for any assistance.

Attachments

• photo250625.jpg
    photo250625.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo250626.jpg
    photo250626.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo250627.jpg
    photo250627.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 4

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
The Tabs look like they are installed just fine, right distance in and the slight difference in mounting height should not be an issue.

I think you should move both mounts out to the furthest out hole. I believe that the boat may now be a little bit trimmed too far bow down and it is "bow steering" a little bit. Moving them out will decrease the lift a little bit and let the bow come up a bit.

Let me know the results.

P.S. Great boat! I used to call on Dyer boats in the '80s in Rhode Island.

Tom
Bennett Marine

jwadle

Cadet
So that seemed to do it.. Made the adjustment and went out tonight in some pretty choppy water.. No list to the port, and still gets up on plane very easy.. Thanks for the help.

jwadle

Cadet
Well spoke a little too soon, it's still bow steering at times. I have been experimenting with where to have the out drive ( up / down) when running, but I still am having the issue are there any other adjustments I can make?

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
We could try swapping the actuators to the ones that come with the SLT6. Those actuators have 60 pound spring vs the 90 pound one in the ones you installed.

If you can take the actuators off the boat and send them to the factory with this form http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Bennett_Return_Form.pdf and tell them you need the 60 pound actuators we will be happy to exchange them.

Tom
Bennett Marine

jwadle

Cadet
Tom, thanks for all the help. I actually just spoke wit the "other" Tom at your office and he is sending me the new ones. I will give them a try and let you know how I make out.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Thomas has been copying me on your E-mails since we realized we were talking to the same person. Not too many Dyer Glamour Girls out there :)

I look forward to hearing the results

Tom
Bennett Marine

jwadle

Cadet
Well, I finally got out last night (the actuators arrived VERY quickly, great customer service from Bennett), it just took a while to find the time to install and get out there, with the kids heading back to school and all the after school activities.. Well that for sure did the trick. I think I should have even had the smaller tabs themselves in the first place, but I (like most guys) though bigger was better, especially since the boat is "only" 16 feet. LOL.. So anyway, its great, no more "bow steer" and it gets on plane very nicely still. I also have been "playing" a bit with the outdrive trim (per another suggestion) and that really helps too.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help, last nights cruise to see the Swallows in essex CT, as well as the very strange sighting of a deer swimming across the the CT river was great.
IMG_2930.JPG

MRS

Commander
Glad it worked out for you I put the SLT 10's on mine and it was the best thing I added to my boat. Makes boating a lot more fun.:fish2:

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
Well, I finally got out last night (the actuators arrived VERY quickly, great customer service from Bennett), it just took a while to find the time to install and get out there, with the kids heading back to school and all the after school activities.. Well that for sure did the trick. I think I should have even had the smaller tabs themselves in the first place, but I (like most guys) though bigger was better, especially since the boat is "only" 16 feet. LOL.. So anyway, its great, no more "bow steer" and it gets on plane very nicely still. I also have been "playing" a bit with the outdrive trim (per another suggestion) and that really helps too.

Again, thanks to everyone for the help, last nights cruise to see the Swallows in essex CT, as well as the very strange sighting of a deer swimming across the the CT river was great.

That's great! I copied your post to M.J. Thomas at the factory so he could see it too.

Tom
Bennett Marine