2016 Chapparal

Tankeryanker

Recruit
Hi, I'm about to demo a 2016 chaparral, 19' fish and ski. I've been worrying myself for a week about the 4.5L 200 horse engine. My current boat, 82 19' gulfstream with 351 ford will pull my big ass out on a single ski. Top end is 57 gps. what can I expect out of the new one? It's the only thing other than the ridiculous price the gives me concern.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
From what I've read those 4.5L should have plenty of power for a 19'. If you have any issues skiing then it's nothing a prop change wouldn't solve, same with speed.

Philster

Captain
I'd trust Chappy to have it 'geared' to yank well, with modern prop design... hull lift... fuel injection... and an engine that has a more flexible/usable power band, it'll spool up just fine. Top speed is irrelevant. It's probably an honest 45-48 all day and night, giving up some MPH up top for more realistic use.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
You'll be fine, watch jaws 3 they got the 115hp outboard pulling like 6 skiers at once 😂😂😂

diungerich

Seaman Apprentice
I'd put cash down that a 2016 19' boat weighs a lot less than an `82. And that 351, depending on how it was built, probably didn't have much more than 200 horse. I'm sure it had pretty good torque, but regardless. The new on may not do 50+, but hard to say without all specifics. Prop is going to determine how it does pulling your big *** out vs where it tops out.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Isn't this why you take a demo ride?

i would be more concerned about having a new design Mercruiser and being one of the guinea pig owners. On the other hand, maybe Merc learned something with the 470 and Vazer.

The 4.5 also has a 250HP version.

Last edited:

Tankeryanker

Recruit
Thanks all for the replies. I look forward to many years of new boat warranty and serviceability.

Tankeryanker

Recruit
We ended up buying it. Tested at about 600' above sea level, ran very well. Good power, wasn't looking for top speed due to break in period. Since then we have been to our go to lake several times, about 1500'. Same 19 pitch prop, good power and 52 mph @ 5000 rpm. Two other lakes, one at 5500', tho other at 7000'. I bought a 17 pitch, lost mph but holeshot just as good. Other than a few quirks, mostly in my head, we are very satisfied with our purchase.