Wake boats. Any one else find them annoying?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have seen loans offered for well over 5-6 years. Normally when I see a young 20 something with the lifted huge truck towing a 6 figure boat I just think they are up to there eyeballs in debt or have family money.
My brother, who is a used car dealer, made a lot of money buying repossessed boats where these buyers couldn't afford them after awhile or were so upside down they just stopped making payments. Mainly PWCs actually!

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a couple of friends that have all the toys , boats , toy haulers, dirt bikes /side by sides ...and a new house .. they make good money ,but they spend a lot and have loans on most of it .. they make a 6 figure income but still have trouble sometimes because they are buried in debt ..doesn't seem to bother them .. I think for a lot of people its about "i want it now!!

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I think it's great when you can buy everything with cash but obviously most people including me can't do that. If you make a stable income and can finance something and have money left over at the end of the month then I'm all for it.

I didn't finance my current boat because it was only 5.5k but I am thinking in a couple years I might take out a loan on a slightly used wakeboard boat(1 or 2 years old).

Drew220

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread lol. I'm 33 so i'm not a grumpy old man yet, I guess i get a little jealous when i see someone around 20 years old with a 6 figure boat and huge expensive jacked up truck while i'm sitting over here with my 20 year old boat and pickup that i struggle to keep running :). Every time i get the urge to buy a new or used truck i usually run away crying from the lot after seeing the prices and monthly payments around $600 a month. Hard to find one for under 25K that is not super high mileage. Growing up everything we had was used or old. Mowed the lawn with a Wheelhorse mower from the 70s (that thing is still running strong btw). When i was shopping for boats i looked at some new ones, but the thought of financing a toy for 15- 20 years was frighting.

I'm all about living life while I'm able to do so and will finance something as long as I can afford it, but I also hate having a lot of debt. I'm a public servant so I don't make a lot of money (I got a bonus of 270 dollars this year instead of a raise. yay!). I do enjoy what i do so that's what keeps me going. I tried going the money route in college and dabbled in computer programming, but it about drove me insane being stuck in front of a computer all day. If it wasn't for the Admiral I would be living in a box somewhere. :)

Last edited:

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Wake board boats don't bother me. I am more concerned with the 12' boats that are painted camouflage and blend in with the surroundings making them hard to see.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Wake board boats don't bother me. I am more concerned with the 12' boats that are painted camouflage and blend in with the surroundings making them hard to see.

I sure hope you boat where there's no drift wood if you think a 12' boat painted with shoreline camo is tough to see. Or is the 12' boats bottom of the hull up from the board boats wake... :lol:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Why not just do real surfing ? The waves are usually better and ya don't have to fuel it up .. Zero carbon footprint and if the shoreline gets messed up you can blame God ... Growing up we couldn't afford ski boats but if we mowed enough lawns we could buy a surfboard ... Although we did have an old plywood road sign that we tied to our neighbors gill net/ crab boat that we would sling each other around on ... Man that was fun ! The more you weighed the better you could ride it ..
:focus: As far as the op question I don't see many wake boats on the ICW down here so not much of a problem ..