Wake boats. Any one else find them annoying?

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hate going to the lake and there is no wind but you still have a 3 to 4 foot swells on the water. Hard to have a nice cruise on the lake when all your doing is bouncing around. Or just to relax in the sun when some guy goes by 20 feet away making a 4 foot wake.

thumpar

Admiral
I hate when I am cuisine down the lake and one passes in front me with full ballast.

oldjeep

Admiral
Yeah, and I sort of own one ;) Unfortunately minimum shoreline distances were not put in place with regard for people trying to make 3 ft waves all afternoon. I would expect to see a lot more restrictions in the future aimed at surf boats especially.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Yeah, and I sort of own one ;) Unfortunately minimum shoreline distances were not put in place with regard for people trying to make 3 ft waves all afternoon. I would expect to see a lot more restrictions in the future aimed at surf boats especially.

Or actual enforcement of the rules in place. I admit I wakeboard and wakesurf, but also own lakeside property that I have to deal with erosion on. I'm far more mindful of where my wake ends up when it hits shore. I stay more than the legal distance away from other boaters, but there is some shared responsibility if you are on the water. There might be waves out there!

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Go early in the day or in the evening. You'll be fine.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I wouldn't say that they aren't annoying so much as everpresent. We have a lake house and the waves have never been the slightest concern in that regard on the shore, when I'm flying on the waverunner and hit a rogue set, that can get bumpy (much worse if you are the passenger) and as for when we are on the lake with our boat, generally the boat is large and heavy enough to not get too annoyed plus the lake is large and you can just avoid them if you want to. I would say no additional rules needed for our lake at least.
The trend on our lake has become heavy pontoon ownership and ever increasing 100k+ tow boats. It's become this slow crawl of boats, pontoons because even the 600hp ones out there never go over 10mph and the wake surfers barely creeping along. I simply don't care to own a tow boat.

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For me, it is not so much the boat as it is the awareness of the driver. I get more annoyed with a boat (usually an IO) chugging down the lake, not engaging in watersports that is throwing a monster wake just because they dont care. Get it up on plane, or drop it to no-wake speed, I dont care, but if you are making a mess of the water for no apparent reason then you are just a jerk in my opinion. Most (not all to be sure) of the wake boats I see here are pretty aware of other boaters - and will give lots of room between other boats. But by mid morning, I get off the main lake and anchor in a cove to hang out until late in the day.

I hope to own an inboard within the next couple of years, and do want to try surfing (Im getting old enough that I think my slalom skiing days are numbered, and want to keep up in watersports that may be a little less injury prone). I trust I will not be one of the annoying people, I think a lot about what impact I have on other boaters.

jkust

Rear Admiral
For me, it is not so much the boat as it is the awareness of the driver. I get more annoyed with a boat (usually an IO) chugging down the lake, not engaging in watersports that is throwing a monster wake just because they dont care. Get it up on plane, or drop it to no-wake speed, I dont care, but if you are making a mess of the water for no apparent reason then you are just a jerk in my opinion. Most (not all to be sure) of the wake boats I see here are pretty aware of other boaters - and will give lots of room between other boats. But by mid morning, I get off the main lake and anchor in a cove to hang out until late in the day.

I hope to own an inboard within the next couple of years, and do want to try surfing (Im getting old enough that I think my slalom skiing days are numbered, and want to keep up in watersports that may be a little less injury prone). I trust I will not be one of the annoying people, I think a lot about what impact I have on other boaters.

I will say that the popular parts of our lake get crazy busy on the weekends and there are so many wakes coming from all directions converging, I couldn't even point at one single boater being a jerk. I just take it all in stride, enjoy the 90 days of summer and roll with it. The other thing is that actually being on the lake and not trailering as a visitor changes how you boat as well.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Another reason I'm glad I'm not a fresh water boater. Wake boats don't exist around here. The go-fasts (not too many of them, thank goodness) provide me with all the annoyance I need...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I talked to an old feller once and he put it in perspective. Only a fool would spend 100 grand on a boat only to fill it with water and go 10 MPH.

:lol: :pound: :lol: Man that's perfect!

I too hate being any where near those half sunk 23' 100" wide 100k boats blowing a 4' wake they take no responsibility for. I've been out fishing in my 16'r trolling for walleye and have to fight to stay upright as my bow mount trolling motor comes clear out of the water as I have to bow into the monster wakes to avoid being capsized. I don't remember an occasion where my fishing has interfered with anyone else's good time.:noidea:

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cant stand them .... a floating john deer plowing up the lake... playing really crappy music that the whole lake can hear ...

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
I truly don't mind them....to each their own.....I just can't stand when they have no care for safety and they're doing whatever they want and have no care in which way their going or where other boats are headed, my trophy handles the wakes no problem, but my buddy who was out on his 1750 Capri had to keep slowing down to hit the wakes, which kept making me stop lol

R055

Chief Petty Officer
It's because of all those 15 year financing plans that allow you to own one for less than $300 month

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Is it annoying, yes...should we enforce some rules to forbid or restrict, maybe.

There's a few things I've noticed over the past couple of years, (a trend of sorts) lots more boats and lots more people buying them. That's a good sign the economy is doing better. When I looked at boats last year finding anything from 2009-2011 in my style/price range was slim (not as many people buying boats back in those years, look at how many mid sized boat company's traded hands/closed). I entertained the idea of a wakeboard boat when I bought my Cobalt, but the cost of the boat and the limits of an inboard/v-drive I don't care for...but mostly cost.

I promise there's point here...

Where I do a bulk of my boating is at Lake Pueblo (reservoir) it seems we get more and more wake/surf boats every trip out and they do create some good sized wake, but I don't feel the boats should be outlawed or denied access; however, maybe as they become more dominant we should either a) assign areas where wake surfing/boarding is okay and assign other areas where it's not okay or b) assign times for different type of water sports...

I enjoy wakeboarding (not at any level you would call efficient nor graceful), and I love watching wakeboarders who are good, so the wakes are a necessary evil. I don't care for watching wake surfing as the action is too slow for me, but it does seem like a decent activity as injuries seem unlikely?

For the most part, I find them respectful of our personal space when out with the kids learning to wakeboard/ski, but there's one cove called 'skier's cove' that seems not one person follows the correct boat pattern, nor giving the proper distances...only thing we'll do in that cove is tube.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I don't know about direct injuries but I wonder about how safe it is every time I see a pile of kids all at the stern and think of the carbon monoxide levels. At 10 MPH that stuff is just boiling back there right in their faces including the guy having all that fun on the board going back and forth...

oldjeep

Admiral
I don't know about direct injuries but I wonder about how safe it is every time I see a pile of kids all at the stern and think of the carbon monoxide levels. At 10 MPH that stuff is just boiling back there right in their faces including the guy having all that fun on the board going back and forth...

A lot of the new surf boats have a factory surf pipe underwater exhaust system that runs the exhaust down in front of the rudder to disperse it. Available as an add on for pretty much any inboard tow boat and a lot of folks seem to use them.

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Not annoyed by the boat as much as the driver, I've had several come from across the lake to do repeated tight circles around me within easy casting distance while I was standing and casting in my 14 foot boat. I've often wondered at what point I could legally claim self defense and brandish the flare gun.