Outside the box design for recreational inboard propulsion using lawn mower engines.

Ned L

Commander
4032.jpg

Here you go. To bad they don't make these anymore.

Ned L

Commander
Or you could do something with this little 5HP Acadia sitting in my garage. Unfortunately, it weighs 300 pounds and must be 5 'gorilla' hp as it needs about 22ft of boat wrapped around it.

ry%3D400

And reverse??????? ah, .... don't need no stinkin reverse. its two cycle make and break. You simply shut the engine down, then start it in the opposite direction. (Direct reversing). Oh, ... and the starter button ????? ........ its that big round thing in front. Just grab it and give it a spin. :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
preventec47, What ever you do, you have to post the project on here. I would love to see it. :thumb:

Ingenuity is still alive and well these days.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Or you could do something with this little 5HP Acadia sitting in my garage. Unfortunately, it weighs 300 pounds and must be 5 'gorilla' hp as it needs about 22ft of boat wrapped around it.

ry%3D400

And reverse??????? ah, .... don't need no stinkin reverse. its two cycle make and break. You simply shut the engine down, then start it in the opposite direction. (Direct reversing). Oh, ... and the starter button ????? ........ its that big round thing in front. Just grab it and give it a spin. :D

There are plenty of people who would like to have that motor. If you are not going to do anything with it, you may consider checking out smokstak.com. They have the antique outboard section in their forums, among many other antique engines.

Ned L

Commander
Thanks,... I am familiar with all those sites. I have a variety of engines, that one, a little1924 4cyl "Universal" CW2 (I think), a couple of Graymarine 109's (226 cid flat head sixes), about a dozen small outboards (1927 - early 60's), a stover CT2 stationary engine, a couple of early 'Briggs' etc, and a pair of 1957 265 cid flat head six Chrysler Crowns (wrapped in a 33ft boat).
That Acadia has some company here. :D

Last edited:

preventec47

Cadet
4032.jpg

Here you go. To bad they don't make these anymore.

That nearly brings tears to my eyes. From the looks of that engine I would guess it is 60 or 70 years old.
Is it ? But fantastic as it is what I need to duplicate with modern components. Thanks for sharing !

Ned L

Commander
I believe that is from the 50's. It's not mine (kind of wish it were- it's off the internet). It is a good example of the kind of thing that was probably as close as your local hardware store 60 + years ago. I think people were much more into doing things themselves then.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That nearly brings tears to my eyes. From the looks of that engine I would guess it is 60 or 70 years old.
Is it ? But fantastic as it is what I need to duplicate with modern components. Thanks for sharing !

I do remember back in my RC days of building a Miss Unlimited Hydroplane boat that used an model airplane engine with the
"Stuffing Box" setup through the floor like that. That was so much fun to run.

igotit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im in south louisiana,aircooled inboard boats are common here....we call them mud boats.
Very safe and user friendly.
Ive owned a few and never caught fire....ect.
As with everything....its as safe as you make it.
I own a 13 ft mudboat with a 10 hp diesel aircooled motor.
18 mph all day on 1 gal fuel.

Im planning a build installing a 25 evinrude lower unit thru bottom of the hull,on the inside a 26 briggs.

Last edited:

igotit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also have a 26 briggs outboard and a 7 briggs outboard. Both do great,cheap on fuel and very safe.