I think I know why my livewell and washdown do not work... now, how to fix it

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After crawling on my head to see into the bilge, I found that my ballcock was turned off..(boat is new to me)
, and after a little inspection I found out why... looks like the livewell and washdown are combined into a single intake, fitted with a ballcock...which is a good thing...

The livewell pump motor seems to hum along just fine when the switch is on, so I am currently assuming it is good.
The washdown motor also seems to work with switch on, but there is one hitch... the ballcock is turned off... after and upside down view into the bilge I found out why...I think this is some sort of filter unit that is broken off at the washdown pump...(single intake, but separate pumps for washdown and livewell).

Is this a replaceable part? Or should I bite the bullet and replace the whole washdown pump? The livewell pump is a shurflo 500 gph.... I have no idea on the washdown pump as it has no visible labels... Ideas how to fix? is this filter part replaceable?

Boat is a 2001 Proline 19 Sport...

Attachments

• photo249802.JPG
    photo249802.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo249803.JPG
    photo249803.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo249804.JPG
    photo249804.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 2

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
That filter system is interested. That appears to be a fuel/water separator, which if used for filtering water it seems like would defeat the purpose?

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The fuel/water separator is just positioned so that it was caught in the picture of the broken connection to the washdown pump... it is really not hooked up to it... I was kinda upside down taking pictures with my cell phone blind....

But yea, if that were in the loop I could see how it would defeat the purpose! :facepalm:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you can remove the filter (what I assume is the whiteish plastic piece in your second picture), is there a barb on the pump itself you can hook the hose onto? This way you can test the system and make sure it all works. If it does, there are plenty of inline, barbed filters you could plumb into it for a permanent fix. However if after doing that test the wash down system still doesn't work, then you know what you have to do (replace the pump assembly).

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is in a very awkward position to try and get the broken filter off... and I don't work upside down and backwards as well as I used too... I may have to reach in with elec screwdriver and remove whole unit to try to dissasemble and test. Thanks for the suggestion, will definately find out if I have to replace whole unit or just add an inline filter...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It is in a very awkward position to try and get the broken filter off... and I don't work upside down and backwards as well as I used too... I may have to reach in with elec screwdriver and remove whole unit to try to dissasemble and test. Thanks for the suggestion, will definately find out if I have to replace whole unit or just add an inline filter...

Some times I think they manufacture the hull after they install such things. And then build around it. The only suggestion I can offer is to remove all of it and fix what is needed and relocate the best you can so in the future you can get to it if needed. JMHO!

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
that filter looks suspiciously like the filter on the inlet to my onboard water pump in my RV. It is a two piece assembly with npt threads on both sides (1/2" I believe). It looks as if the threaded stub on the inlet has broken off into the black fitting, the rest of the assembly should just unscrew from the pump. Loosen that hose clamp and pull the black fitting out and get the rest of the stub out of there, install a new filter and you should be good to go.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I finally pulled out the livewell pump and washdown pump, and they appear to be fine. I just need to install new 3/4 inch raw water strainer, and replace the existing 3/4 inch hose from the livewell pump to the washdown pump...existing hose is so brittle it has zero flex... it cannot be installed onto a new barb.

Now I have a quandry... exactly WHICH hose do I buy? There are so many that seem like they would work, Red or Blue tracer reinforced PVC, Corregated hose rated for pressure/suction, smooth or corregated?? I am just confused! Does anybody have a SPECIFIC Hose recommendation?

On another note, I need less than 10 feet...

Mod EDIT: Solicitations arent permitted

Last edited by a moderator:

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What hoses to use for livewell & washdown pumps?

Pulled out my livewell and washdown pumps today to get access to replace a broken raw water filter.

As long as it is all out, I want to replace the 3/4" hose that runs to washdown pump and livewell since original (2001) hose is extremely brittle (it snaps when if I can bend it at all)

There are sooooo many choices of hoses, which is the best for below the waterline use, in a high strength, non collapsing, preferable smooth (inside) hose? Do you have specific brand/model recommendations?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mbhoag
Removed the solicitation, again

Merged the 2nd topic you started w original topic

Both solicitation and duplicate topics are covered in the rules, found here
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum...34-forum-rules

My apologies... asked the question without even thinking about it... and then thought maybe it should be a new topic by itself...
I was apparently brain dead yesterday...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
mbhoag, I bought some clear type water hose from Lowes that is actually made for such things and it allows you to see if there is any obstructions if a problem develops. It has some reinforcements threads in the hose but you can still see through it as well. And you can buy in many different sizes as well. And being smooth inside allows it to pass water so much easier then a ribbed type hose. But that is just my opinion.