Tips on Selling Boat

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Thinking about upgrading to something newer and more comfortable. Dreading thought of selling current boat and dealing with tire kickers/ride seekers/general douche bags that sometimes respond to Craigslist ads.

​Any tips on how to deal with this?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Consignment or PAID ads, like here at iboats, rather then free listing sites

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you have been around as long as I have you begin to have fun with it. I always get responses like what is the least you will take for it before they even show up and my usual reply is to tell them about 25% higher than the asking price then telling them once they see it they will want to offer me more anyway! No loss there as that type is not interested in buying anyway. Or you get the response that offers you half of your asking price before showing up and I always tell them hell yes I will take that and when they show up I tell them I thought that was a down payment!! That just pisses them off, but what the heck, they are acting like idiots anyway. A real and serious person that is truly interested will stick out like a sore thumb. Numbskulls are very quick to show their ignorance in the stupid questions they ask, so don't be afraid to have some fun with those type of people as they are not serious buyers anyway. In most of the things I have sold over the years I was easy to tell the serious buyer and I treated them well and normally the first serious buyer out bought whatever I had for sale thru honest description and fair prices. The rest of them was just a fun time for me.......

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
40 years ago I was happy to go thru the hassle because I wanted to get as much money as possible. These days I trade the boat in to the dealer I'm buying the new boat from and get it over with. A little haggling and i always get a fair price. Same with car purchases.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
40 years ago I was happy to go thru the hassle because I wanted to get as much money as possible. These days I trade the boat in to the dealer I'm buying the new boat from and get it over with. A little haggling and i always get a fair price. Same with car purchases.

​I've never bought from a dealer - had no idea they take trade ins. Looks like I'll have to travel about 3 hours away to get the boat I'm interested in. Not sure how a long distance trade in would work (wouldn't want to trail my boat all the way to Santa Ana and then be told "..... na, we can't take that POS ..."

fishrdan

Admiral
If you're going to sell it private party, better hop on it as boating season is coming to an end. Go into fall and you won't get as much as someone looking to have some summer fun...

But yeah, I don't envy you selling it private party.

Only bit of advice I can give is set up-front expectations if they want a sea trial. Have heard people scheduling a sea trail, show up at the launch ramp, and there's the guy's whole family in tow, ready for a fun filled day at the lake. That's not what a sea trial is for, just 1 (possibly 2) people to give the boat a shake-down run and to make sure it's what they want, half hour to an hour.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
If you're going to sell it private party, better hop on it as boating season is coming to an end. Go into fall and you won't get as much as someone looking to have some summer fun....

​Fortunately, here in San Diego we have pretty much a 12 month boating season.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
My best advice is just be HONEST when selling the boat, list exactly what's wrong with it, and what's not wrong with it in the ad. Just yesterday I drove 3 hours for a boat one way and the seller said it was near perfect, I got there and the steering cable was BROKEN, the bow of the boat had a 12 inch long gash right down to the fiber glass. VHF radio, radio, and gas gauge didn't work-needless to say I was very annoyed.

Like previously stated when you find an actual buyer you'll know they stick out like a sore thumb

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
​I've never bought from a dealer - had no idea they take trade ins. Looks like I'll have to travel about 3 hours away to get the boat I'm interested in. Not sure how a long distance trade in would work (wouldn't want to trail my boat all the way to Santa Ana and then be told "..... na, we can't take that POS ..."
If I was getting rid of junk I WOULD put it on CL and advertise it below book value. Then, I would probably take the first offer just to be done with it.

The last 2 boats I sold (2 were jetskis) were traded in without a viewing. I won't drive all over town just to have it 's tires kicked. I DID have pictures. The sale / trade was based on a contingency that the trade-in was as described. The last deal was made with some haggling because i wanted $500 ABOVE book value for the trade. On the night of the pickup, the dealer started the engine and gave her a good once-over and his comment was "boy, that's better than expected".

Just be honest.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You will eliminate a bunch of idiots if you only accept emails, NO texts.
After a couple emails with a potential buyer, you will know if it is worth your while to give them your phone number.

Include really good photos.

Limit your showings to what is convenient for you. Say, the weekend, or a few days down the road. It never hurts to have a couple buyers show up in the driveway at the same time.

No boat rides until after the deal is struck and a deposit is made in cash. Then a 20 minute ride to confirm the boat performs as it should. NO negotiating after the boat ride. Take it or leave it. Be up front about this before striking a deal.

Offer a test ride even if they don't ask for one. It will give them assurance that you are confident in the boat to perform well. And it will prove that it is in good working order when they pull it off to their house.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I have had good luck with Craigslist but it is more of a hassle. Just ignore anyone asking to pay with check, cashiers check, or Paypal. I do cash only deals. Nothing else except cash. As others said, be honest in your posting as well as when talking to people. Don't hide things because if they know what they are looking at and find something wrong, they will most likely walk away simply because you lied. I have had sellers lie and that is the reason I walked away. Usually it is easy to tell if someone is phony. Don't reply to any huge lowballs. Lastly, I believe if you are near water and you think they are serious and you can see they brought cash, offer a test ride. In General, just trust your gut. If something doesn't feel right, it usually isn't.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Serious buyers bring cash with them.
No paypal or bank cheques. Scammers print them out by the thousands in hotel rooms.
Last fall I actually told one guy that I would not sell him the boat period. Don't show up at my house and start acting like you know more than I do about my boat and what its worth.
The fellow that bought it showed up cash. A few hundred less than I wanted but cash talks loud and clear.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I accept bank checks but I let it be known I will only accept it if I can call the bank to verify it.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
It may be regional, but in MN CL is about the best place to sell most boats. I've had issues with people wasting my time with emails/text so I'd just tell them if you can't call me find another boat. That right off the top weeds out most of the tire kickers /time wasters. Serious buyers will call you.

Also if you have a nice SS prop on it, take it off. Throw on your cheap aluminum spare if you got one. You'll never get a penny more for the boat with it on so keep it for yourself or sell outright.

Allow a test drive only after you've negotiated a price and they show you the money so you know they are not dreaming. Give them a nice long test drive but but tell them once the boat leaves your sight there is no warranty.

I have no problems with a cashiers check, you just have to be smart. Expecting someone to pay in cash for a boat is ridiculous. If I had a seller tell me cash only, he'd lose the sale.

Last edited:

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just traded a boat at a dealership a couple months ago. It was the goofiest experience I ever had. The only reason I traded it was I just wanted the thing gone and didn't want to deal with it.
If you trade, have a low figure in mind cuz obviously they aren't going to give you retail price. This dealer went by NADA value (which is crap in my mind) and then came up a little.

When we initially went to look at the boat that we purchased we brought our old boat along, the dealer asked to see it if I wanted to trade. So he goes out and looks at it, gets another guy and they look at it again. They didn't start it, didn't look under the engine hood, hardly even took off the cover, didn't ask what if any new parts I put in, nothing. There wasn't much moving on price on the new (to us) boat so we dickered on trade in price. I figure I got about 2k less than if I sold it out of my drive way. Again, I was happy to done with it. So the dealer produced a sales agreement and we headed off to get financing.

A week later, trade in/purchase day, SWEET!! So we show up with our trade and money, , THEN they take it to the shop to inspect, run it, etc. I had no worries, we just had it out the previous weekend and it started and ran flawlessly as usual. Then things went south. . .
It was a nice day in northern Minnesota so they had the big doors open. We're sitting in the sales office and we hear this boat start up and they're just revving the pi$$ out of it! I knew it was my boat, the unmistakable 4.3L withe a Volvo DP drive. Well then it quits. And they crank and crank and crank and it sputters a few times then nothing.
Well, I only had about a 1/4 tank or less and they had it sitting bow low so all the fuel went to the front of the tank. They added fuel, leveled the boat as I suggested and still nothing. So the sales guy comes and says that my fuel pump isn't pumping. I said in with a few explicit words that it is just fine! Really long story shorter, I had to tell them that they needed to fill the fuel water separator with fuel because the electric fuel pump sucks directly out of the separator and the separator needs needs fuel in it to prime the pump.

Everything eventually worked out just fine but man what a fiasco!

All I'm saying is have your wits about you if you trade.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Thanks, guys. Lots of good tips. Actually applicable to any selling experience, particularly on Craigslist. I really like the "sea trial" approach.

HydroGeek

Cadet
Set up a seperate gmail google email account to protect your main email account. You can also set up a google phone number (for free!) which will give you a new phone number that you can then forward to your main number. This way you can post both an email and phone number on Craigslist and then discontinue them after the sale. Otherwise, scammers will harvest your contact info and will badger you with spam afterwards. Keep in mind that if you reply to a text with your phone they will have your phone number. Stick to email with your temp email account until you are convinced the buyer is legit. Then call him, and block your caller ID.

I second the comments about taking off your high $$$ accessories. You can either sell them on ebay or offer them to the buyer AFTER you fix on a price. Trolling motor, fish finder, troll plate, downriggers, extra battery, props, bimini, whatever.

Or... set a price for your boat stripped, and one with accessories. I will negotiate on my items to a certain price, then tell the buyer that getting below this price results in things start coming off. Avoid the hassle by selling your boat bare-bones.

Same with the test ride stuff. Settle on a price first given a checkout ride. Take a deposit, even a small one, and that is non-refundable but applicable towards the purchase price.

If a buyer wants to have the boat checked out, they have to pay the shop in advance. You will haul it there and back, and the shop has to prove to you that they have received a pre-purchase inspection payment before you leave your driveway with your boat.

Make sure that the registration for your boat and trailer are current. It sucks to get a buyer on the hook only to get kicked off the ramp because your registration is expired.

Clean the heck out of your boat before taking pictures for craigslist. I am amazed at all the for sale boat pictures I see with the boat full of leaves, beer cans etc. If the seller could not be bothered to clean out the boat for pictures, you know they probably didn't maintain it.

Describe the boat well with text. Craigslist adds with lots of pictures and good descriptive text get more responses than "boat for sale" and nothing else.

In terms of detailing, clean the engine too. For trolling motors and dark plastic trim and things, I recommend using "Back to Black". It really does a good job in restoring dark color.

Empty out old fuel and slowly add it to your car. Make sure you have fresh fuel in the boat tank prior to a test ride. I went to test a boat I was going to buy, and I drove 3 hours to a lake. The seller drove 2 hours to the same lake, and the boat would not start. I was pissed, and he was disappointed.

I also second being very up front with whatever is wrong with the boat. Be honest, and be fair. What comes around goes around. Also be reasonable on your price. Depreciation happens. That is the price of owning our boats.

Good luck!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
A lot of "games" may be based on the selling price range. You are more apt to get a lot more" riffraff" inquiring on a $3500. boat than 50K boat.

I know a lot of people that have sold their boat on CL. Just mention in your ad that you request serious inquires only.