Tips to beat the heat?

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently bought a nice, newer boat this summer that my family and friends really enjoy. It's been remarkably hot (95*+) this month, though, and we haven't been using the boat very much because of it.

I'm looking for some tips to overcome the heat and still enjoy my boat. Below are some of my normal mitigation steps.

1. Use the bimini top to stay out of the sun.
2. Use plenty of sunscreen.
3. Go out in the late afternoon as the sun is lower in the sky. (this hasn't been helping. It's been 95*+ until 9pm here in NC. )
4. Drink plenty of water and gatorade instead of beer.

What else can I do? Are there any cool new products like miniature portable air conditioners?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Start out earlier in the morning. Like sunrise. That's when temps are usually lowest.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
jumpjets, I totally understand what you are asking. I live in middle Georgia and the heat is horrendous and I am trying to get my boat project finished. But once the temps hits 90 degrees, I am both finished for the day and totally soaked as well. So I am waiting for fall (or at least a small break in the weather) to get back to real efforts now.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'm guessing you guys in the SE have high humidity to go with your heat that makes it so miserable. I leave early in the morning and before noon have the bimini up. A cruise with the air flow works pretty good where I boat as the water rarely gets to 70 degree f in the middle of summer, usually around 65 so the cool water makes like a swamp cooler. Of course when it starts getting oppressive then either leave or just go for a dip to cool off. They make those cool towels to wrap around your neck and head but one thing that works best is a cold bottle of water from the cooler poured slowly on your head while leaning over so the water runs down your face. Instant cool off if you survive the shock and awe of it. :lol:

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Drink lots of water, take a dip in the lake every 20minutes or when switching wakeboarders, go before 11am or after 4pm, ride the boat instead of just sitting in one spot.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I built a misting system that sprays lake water in a mist from my wakeboard tower. Works great and cools the area from the tower back to about 15-20' from the swim platform noticibly. When I'm anchored at the local beach, everyone gathers around the stern of my boat to cool off :)

Uses a simple garden hose-connected patio misting system modified to work with a 12v pump.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
spoilsofwar, that misting system sounds great. But I can't do that and work with the hull because of the mist. Polyester resin and water mist doesn't mix. But that would certainly work otherwise.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have the same problem in my area, we are in a heat pattern here, with temps higher than normal, unfortunately the boat just sits, waiting for better conditions. Being on the lake is cooler than on shore but when the temp is 95 plus degrees the A/C at home is so much more inviting..

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That's funny. When it gets that hot that's when we DO go out in the boat. Its always cooler on the water. Your 4 points are spot on. We usually find a cove that has some trees so we have some shade in addition to the top. There is always still a breeze out there. Rather than jumping in the water periodically, we usually stay in all the time, immersed in tubes. When the sun isn't overhead any more we start to come home.

Sure beats staying home in the backyard!

thumpar

Admiral
I always have a hat on onboard. I dunk it in the lake when just sitting. It gets enough that there is a some water that runs down my back. When I feel overheated there is always the lake to jump in.

RGrew176

Commander
Its amazing just how much cooler you feel when you jump in the water. Even when you get out of the water the effect lasts quite some time.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Summer water temps here are in the upper 80s or low 90s.

And there are "things" in the water... we don't go in the water! :eek:

alligator.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
We are finally getting a break in the heat for today. There are only talking about 90 degrees. But only for this day. Then back to the upper 90's and 100's again. :facepalm:

Heavy<313>

Seaman Apprentice
spoilsofwar, that misting system sounds great. But I can't do that and work with the hull because of the mist. Polyester resin and water mist doesn't mix. But that would certainly work otherwise.
gm280 I'm real new to boating... but you have a boat that you shouldn't get wet? that seems kinda messed up to me...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Heavy<313>;n10242244 said:
gm280 I'm real new to boating... but you have a boat that you shouldn't get wet? that seems kinda messed up to me...

Those two shouldn't be mixed when they are liquid. After the polyester cures, all is great. But not when you are applying the stuff. I guess I should have been more specific. :facepalm:

slag

Chief Petty Officer
That's funny. When it gets that hot that's when we DO go out in the boat. Its always cooler on the water. Your 4 points are spot on. We usually find a cove that has some trees so we have some shade in addition to the top. There is always still a breeze out there. Rather than jumping in the water periodically, we usually stay in all the time, immersed in tubes. When the sun isn't overhead any more we start to come home.

Sure beats staying home in the backyard!

Just what I was about to say. It's not boating weather until the temp gauge hits 90+. My favorite boating temps are 100+ because the water is so inviting. Why boat if you aren't going to get in the water and cool down and relax? We have a few of those intex inflatable tubes with cup holders and we grab our beer or water and hang out for a few hours in the water.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Why boat if you aren't going to get in the water and cool down and relax? We have a few of those intex inflatable tubes with cup holders and we grab our beer or water and hang out for a few hours in the water.
I have absolutely no interesting in dealing with the boat on a 90+ degree day to hallow around in 85 degree water infested with critters that bite and sting. We have an in-ground pool in the backyard with a well stocked bar in the pool house for just such an occasion.....lol

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If I didn't boat when it was 90+ outside here in central SC, I guess I wouldn't boat at all in the summer.

Personally, if it's sunny out and I'm not working, I'm on the boat. Only missed three weekends so far this season, since May.