New Used Boat Thoughts/Advise wanted

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at a 1987 Luhrs 35' powered with twin 350 PCMs (I think they are GM based). The boat is the Alura model with straight inboards. Boat looks like it is in decent shape. There are a few stress cracks which are expected for a boat almost 30 years old. Motors are original FWC with 1300 hours straight inboards with Borg Warner trannys. It has AC and reverse Heat, Hard top, windlass, and full new enclosure. I like the layout of the boat and cosmetics can be updated as I go (missing the shelf on the counter, trim around the galley, bolsters in the cockpit). I am a bit concerned with the motors. It is in need of a tune up. I don't think the boat has had new plugs in years. But they did run smooth. I'm sure the exhaust manifolds and elbows need replacing as they look fairly old, but does not overheat. Boat cuts nicely and smooth as can be with no vibrations. The deck seemed soft, but when I looked underneath there is no structural support holding the deck up from the stringers. I'm not sure if it was there and removed for whatever reason or just a bad design. I think that's a fairly easy fix with a couple 2x4's from the stringers up. There is no generator and would definitely look to put one in. A design flaw is the duel engine hatches with a center support which makes getting to the motors almost impossible unless you are 130lbs.

Anyone with any experience with this boat and motors? Anything specific I should look for that goes bad on these things? If I decide to move forward I would definitely get a survey done, but do not want to spend the money until I can find out as much info as I can to decide to move forward. Thank You in advance.