2 Questions - ID and porpoising

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can y'all Help me ID this boat? I know its a 94 Sprint Bass boat and its 16' 3" according to the title. It has an 88hp johnson 2 stroke but hull is rated for 90hp.

Second question is how do I stop it from porpoising? It runs great up to 23 mph or so any higher and it starts to porpoise really bad. I would like to solve this issue so I can really enjoy the full potential of this boat.

Chris

Attachments

• photo249268.JPG
    photo249268.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249269.JPG
    photo249269.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249270.JPG
    photo249270.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249271.JPG
    photo249271.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249272.JPG
    photo249272.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you already identified it, and as already mentioned, trim the motor down and it should solve the porpoising issue.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I also had this problem. At 3000rpm I had to have the trim all the way down.
Then I discovered there is a lot of power left in a 90hp and I opened it up. Then I had to trim the other way and the ride was way smoother.
Coming for a 4.3 i/o I just can't get used to looking at a tach that reeds 400rpm.

dwco5051

Commander
I also had this problem. At 3000rpm I had to have the trim all the way down.
Then I discovered there is a lot of power left in a 90hp and I opened it up. Then I had to trim the other way and the ride was way smoother.

Got to agee. Play around with the trim till you find the sweet spot at different speeds. Not sure about that hull design but once it gets up it should fly with that 90 hp. My current boat gets up on the pad about 40mph. It is like driving two different boats. Below 40 a pretty steady ride, once it climbs up hold on. It can be a bit of a bear to handle and you have to be on your toes at high speed. At full trottle you can't be sightseeing. You will figure it out with some practice. Be sure to have your kill switch hooked on.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Got to agee. Play around with the trim till you find the sweet spot at different speeds. Not sure about that hull design but once it gets up it should fly with that 90 hp. My current boat gets up on the pad about 40mph. It is like driving two different boats. Below 40 a pretty steady ride, once it climbs up hold on. It can be a bit of a bear to handle and you have to be on your toes at high speed. At full trottle you can't be sightseeing. You will figure it out with some practice. Be sure to have your kill switch hooked on.

Yes. A 16 foot tiny with 90hp scoots along. It feels like I'm going 100mph!

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
I removed the hydrofoil and the porpoising stopped but with the 19P prop its a dog coming out of the hole and tops out at 37mph. Speedo goes to 70 though. Speed was checked with speedHUD on iphone 6s because speedo and tach don't work.

The ID question was can anybody identify the model of the boat.

Chris

thumpar

Admiral
Just because the speedo goes to 70 doesn't mean anything. 37 mph seems like a good number with that boat. You could try a 17 pitch prop but you make start over revving and not know it because you don't have a tach.

ETA: You should have a registration with the model info. In some states even the OB is registered on its own.

Last edited:

Chris_94_Sprint_TX

Petty Officer 1st Class
There was no info like that on the title that I saw. I know the speedo going to 70 doesn't mean the boat will run 70, I guess I was hopeful or wishful thinking that maybe I'd get to 45-50 with it. Either way the pick up at the transom for the speedo is broke and I am thinking of just getting a lower priced GPS speedo from fleabay and trying to figure out the tach wiring (guess I am going to have to learn how it works with an outboard) or just replace it all together. I am going to take it out again Friday and play with the trim settings again.

Chris