Bunks or rollers

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When investigating my trailer set up I found the bunk roller issue was not clear as some argue boat should rest on bunks not the rollers and some say bunks only to stop boat from side movement.
So which is it as when I look at my trailer I see what I feel in the majority of the weight on the bunks.
I question the set of the middle, of three rollers, as it when Boat snug to the front roller is totally free of the boat.
It carries no weight what so ever.

Should that middle roller be free when boat fully on trailer and is this possibly why the boat is challenging to load when shallow waters don't allow for a float on the trailer.
Note that being a rookie I'm just getting into the drive on loading.

Thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
BLueDart, seem you have a bunk trailer. The center rollers are there to help guide the boat on. But once it is on the trailer, it shouldn't be laying on the center rollers. WHY? Because if there is weight on those center rollers, it can cup the hull. So I usually just move the center rollers up to the just touch the hull and lock them down. That way the hull isn't putting any weight on those rollers. In fact I can turn the rollers by hand when the boat is solidly sitting on the bunks. But that is just how I do things. Others may have a totally different idea about them. JMHO!

airshot

Rear Admiral
It may also depend on the type of hull you have. Being an aluminum hull guy, those boat mfgrs recommend to keep at least half the weight of the hull on the center rollers, but on most trailers for alum boats they do have more center rollers than used on glass hulled boats. My current trailer is all rollers but the previous two trailers were both bunk trailers and yes I did as the mfg recommended and kept a good chunk of the hull weight on the center rollers but my trailers had at least 4 center rollers with the rear most roller right at the transom, and the bunks extended just an inch or so past the transom.

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the replies to both of you and one further rookie question.
Looking at replacing a basic roller to one of the V style keel rollers the measurement given in adds will say for example 3 inch roller.
I assume that is at the widest part and not the narrow part of the V

Thanks