Looking to buy first boat

mtlendy

Recruit
I'm looking @ a 2003 crestliner superhawk with a115 Honda. This is my first boat purchase & want to get it right the first time. Looking for a fish & ski for a family of 4 with 2 little kids. Just looking for some opinions if people have any knowledge of this boat, recommended or not. Thanks in advance

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Mtlendy, welcome. I have not direct knowledge of this boat / engine but can offer 2 pieces of advice:
1- Did you read the boat buyers checklist in the sticky at the top of this forum? link -> http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist
2- Others will say the top 3 things to look for in a boat are Condition, condition and condition. A well maintained older boat is better that a newer not so well maintained new boat.

Hopefully others will join in with direct knowledge.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Condition, Condition, Condition... get the motor checked out by a "professional", anything will blow up if not maintained. I like the word.. "Honda".. there's little dispute they make one of the best engines.. also check out the trailer condition, very important... nothing worse than having a bearing blow up on the interstate... trailer condition, tires??? you'd be amazed how many people put car tires on a boat trailer.. trailer tires are specially made with thicker sidewalls to handle the weight.. good luck

Last edited:

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Should be a good boat for what you want. I think that's an aluminum hull boat? If so, that's a great choice. Take a look at the boat and see if you can find out how it was stored. Out in the open, getting rained on all the time is tough on the interior, causing things to fall apart fast on some boats. Garaged and kept dry, A+! Engine should start well when cold. If you have to slip the owner a couple extra bucks to take you on a test drive, do so.