Help choose new but used.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,

So as some of you might know me by the fact that I've restored a 1967 Starcraft in the Starcraft thread. Now since, I've got an itch to get into something bigger then a 15 footer and aluminum. I'm looking around 20-22 and fiber. Now where else would I go first but here to ask for suggestions what I should look at to start? Any suggested brands? Outboard or Inboard?

I'm hoping to get something that my 4 kids will enjoy for years to come as they grow up. If I'm missing something to narrow down let me know. Cheers!

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Craigslist, and if you're near any marina's start scouring them for brokered boats.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Need to know your budget, where you will use and store it and if you like low power/performance or are ok with a low powered boat just to get out on the water. Outboard for salt water and/or if you live in a cold climate and want to extend the season or if you are looking at something old. Also is your indoor storage a concern? A 22 foot bowrider generally won't fit in a standard depth garage (standard is relative I suppose) with the trailer and may not fit under a 7 foot door either depending on the model. Towing weight is also a concern. A 22 foot boat on the trailer can weigh upwards to 6000lbs again depending on the model.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
All great feedback guys, I appreciate. In regards to budget I don't really know. I'm not looking to lose my arm or leg over, not looking for another payment either, so something old might be good, maybe in 90s that needs interior work. Towing also isn't a concern, I've got about 11000lbs available for pull. That said, I guess going into glass, my concern would be what motor I should be looking for if it's inboard. Are Merc 5s any good or fours. What is well built in glass department by what factory. I mean you can buy old and cheap, but crap or buy semi old, needs interior work, looks good or whatever but not the newest kind and its a sweet deal. You know what I mean.

So far I've looked at 19-21 that were from 89' Rinker and what not. All I know is aluminum and Starcraft lol. So all this so far, feedback wise is awesome. Keep em coming. I am in the north east but I don't think I'd be going out too far past season. Cabby would be nice for the kids, since usually one out of three has to pee. Lol

R055

Chief Petty Officer
All great feedback guys, I appreciate. In regards to budget I don't really know. I'm not looking to lose my arm or leg over, not looking for another payment either, so something old might be good, maybe in 90s that needs interior work. Towing also isn't a concern, I've got about 11000lbs available for pull. That said, I guess going into glass, my concern would be what motor I should be looking for if it's inboard. Are Merc 5s any good or fours. What is well built in glass department by what factory. I mean you can buy old and cheap, but crap or buy semi old, needs interior work, looks good or whatever but not the newest kind and its a sweet deal. You know what I mean.

So far I've looked at 19-21 that were from 89' Rinker and what not. All I know is aluminum and Starcraft lol. So all this so far, feedback wise is awesome. Keep em coming. I am in the north east but I don't think I'd be going out too far past season. Cabby would be nice for the kids, since usually one out of three has to pee. Lol

Send the kids into the water to peešŸ˜, with the boat you described I'm guessing your budget is less than 5k. Less than 5k for a glass boat usally spells trouble with rot although there are some good ones without you just have to keep searching and know when to turn a deal down.
I would go on Craigslist area and boat section and then look at all of them 3-6k(or whatever your budget).

airshot

Rear Admiral
Well now....already familiar with StarCraft aluminum hulls so why not keep that thought and look for a 22' Islander or cheiftan model? I have a 22' Islander and love it, been a boater for more than 50 yrs and this has definetly been my favorite boat I ever owned. Learned my lesson on glass boats many years back, never will do that again. Light weight alum hulls do have some drawbacks but no where near as many as glass hulls in my opinion. Best of luck in your search......

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well now....already familiar with StarCraft aluminum hulls so why not keep that thought and look for a 22' Islander or cheiftan model? I have a 22' Islander and love it, been a boater for more than 50 yrs and this has definetly been my favorite boat I ever owned. Learned my lesson on glass boats many years back, never will do that again. Light weight alum hulls do have some drawbacks but no where near as many as glass hulls in my opinion. Best of luck in your search......

Haha... You going to make me find one and do another rebuild. I wish there were more around my area that are islanders and 22's. I guess just wait and search. Care to post a pic of yours?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Haha... You going to make me find one and do another rebuild. I wish there were more around my area that are islanders and 22's. I guess just wait and search. Care to post a pic of yours?

There are some on this forum somewhere but I will try this again, hope it works, 1983 Islander with 140hp 3.0 001 (800x450).jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Where are you at and why go glass?

I just posted an islander in the starcraft on cl thread. Ready to rebuild.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
What's missing in it, got pics of it? Where is it and asking price?

Seat fuel tanks 3k. Click my screen name look at recent posts, starcraft on ebay or somthing like that. I have more pics than i posted. Let me know

Last edited: