Slip Squatter

WIMUSKY

Staff member
She's in a pickle. It's not hers to salvage. Then he could claim a stolen boat and she would be in more hot water... He breached the contract. I would run it by a lawyer. Sooner than later....... Like yesterday..... She was paid, right? If not, then that's a whole different story......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW if money hasn't changed hands, then it is still her boat and forget about the "new owner". Then she can relist it and sell it again. Money has to change hands before it is legal and binding.

southkogs

Staff member
Did she issue a bill of sale with the new owner's name? If so, I might take that and the rental contract for the slip to the local sheriff and ask for some suggestions on how to evict him.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
WOW if money hasn't changed hands, then it is still her boat and forget about the "new owner". Then she can relist it and sell it again. Money has to change hands before it is legal and binding.
Where did you read this?

MacShorty

Cadet
The guy paid for the boat in cash in full. Does have bill of sale and copies of signed contract requiring removal of boat, along with copy of certified receipt notifying new owner again that he needs to move the boat. Marina, local police nor water authorities will help. I bet if the boat was squatting in one of the slips that the marina owned they'd be all over getting him out.

I did contact a salvage yard and they will gladly take it and put a mechanics lien on it if she can get the boat to the yard. Unfortunately, there is no trailer, the boat is 32', and the yard is inland.

What a pickle.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd probably approach this in maybe 2 different ways. Neither are good, I'm just thinking out loud. 1st, I would consider offering to purchase the boat back from the guy less the slip rental fees in the contract. Id make sure I'd get the title back and make sure the title is in the same condition as it was given to him. You could include the cost of the additional slip she had to rent, because he didn't move his boat, but that might be a deal breaker to him, but then again it allows him an out either way. Then resell it with a more binding contract to get the boat removed by the future owner. Doing this would end the nightmare to a point, but she now has 2 boats and 2 slips. 2nd would be to take him to small claims court. Typically there are no lawyers involved. Sue for past due slip rental and the cost of the 2nd slip, and any other money you think you can get away with, and ask that judge to require the new owner to remove the boat from the slip. Essentially, a court order. In the OP's 1st thread they say she has a contract for the slip rental with penalties and a signed bill of sale from the new owner, showing she is no longer the owner of the boat, This can go along way towards the shift of responsibility & removal of the of the boat. I don't know about Missouri, but most states require the current title holder to sign the title allowing the boat to be transferred to the new owner. IF you have a judgement in your favor and doesn't pay, then have his wages garnished. A lot of employers don't like it when their employees have their wages garnished. You might be able to get a lien on the boat or on his home also. Usually, If he doesn't show up to court the judge will find for the plaintiff.

Legally, I don't think he can sell the boat when its not in his name. I know its been done b4, but finding that person to buy the boat that way will be tuff. He'd have a lot of xplain'n to do.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
this is a very hard thing to sort out but i think i would contact a boat mover and have it taken to the salvage yard, or buy a cheep trailer and the same

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Just reading this pisses me off enough to want to stop by and pull the drain plug.

This. He can atleast pickup the phone and talk to op's friend why he hasn't gotten it out yet and what he plans to do. I'd be pissed if I was the seller. She should let the boat go into open water if she got the release of liability sellers notice when signing over the title. That boat is no longer herd and doesn't belong in that spot that she's paying for.

boatman37

Lieutenant
several years ago i had a business with a rental property above it. the renter had instructions not to park in the driveway out back but derided to park their truck there that they claim wouldn't run so they couldn't move it. i called the local PD and they said i could have it towed but i would have to pay the towing fees since it is on my property but if it was on public property then the city would have it towed and be responsible for the fees. that night i hooked my truck to it and drug it to the middle of the alley and left it there. next day it was gone.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
I bet if you helped her walk it over to the gas dock and tied it up there they'd suddenly take a real quick interest in getting it moved for good. šŸ˜€

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
What I don't get is the buyer paid money for this boat why doesn't he actually register the boat and enjoy it? I really don't get it.....People pay money and don't ever do anything with what they bought it. When I purchase something I just want to register it and use the crap out of it, not let it sit on someones dock and almost have it sink.....this is ridiculous.....tow the boat out of there with the new one and sink it.