Our Second Annual 'Voyage' Starts Tomorrow

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Our Power Squadron District (District 3) holds its annual rendezvous of the 16 Long Island and metro New York squadrons, in Greenport every year at this time. Last year, my friend Tom and I decided to go on from there to Martha's Vineyard. We had such a good time that when the other members of our squadron heard we planned to do someting similar this year, a bunch wanted to join us. I started putting together trip notes for myself, and sharing them with the others. Next thing I knew, I was organizing the thing.
Go figure :facepalm:

Tomorrow at noon, 7 boats will travel in convoy from Babylon on Long Island's south shore, up through the Shinnecock canal and lock, then east across the Peconic Bay to Greenport. After 4 nights there, 5 of us will cross the Long Island Sound to Connecticut. We'll spend 2 nights each at Mystic Seaport and Essex ('cause the women want to shop at Essex). Then back to Long Island, across the Peconic again to Riverhead for the last 2 nights. We head back home a week from Sunday.

I plotted all the routes on my paper charts. Did the same on my chartplotter program and uploaded them to my Raymarine. The gas tank is full, the holding tank is empty. Still packing all our crap aboard and trying to maintain some semblance of 'trim'. Escapade gets pretty small when we load up for 10 days.

Wish us luck, boys and girls.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Have a great time! Would love to see some photos from the trip.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Next thing I knew, I was organizing the thing.
Go figure
facepalm.gif

Never volunteer unless you motor on the Tennessee River! LOL

Sounds like you and the flotilla have a good plan for the trip. The trip last year and report was a good one, this one will be better with more boats. Have fun!