Whine Whine

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Say folks, sure would be thoughtful of you to show those who help you in solving your problems a little courtesy and get back on here and tell us how it went. Kinda pays the bill if you get the drift. The more time one puts in an answer, the more involved the person is and the more they want to know if they were helpful or just blowing hot air. Really helps the next guy-gal that comes along wanting some help.

Flak Flak Duck! Grin

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Well said, Mark! So many times I read an issue and I'd really like to know if the advice received (sometimes mine) helped. Like everybody else on here, I'm learning all the time. Can't tell you how many times I've had an issue and recalled it being discussed here. I find the post.... and the OP never came back and finished the subject.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Couldn't agree more Mark,....

The OP closin' out a thread with the answer to whatever the problem was Is rather satisfyin',...

Even when is wasn't yer answer that fixed the problem,.....

southkogs

Staff member
It's exactly why I haven't had to post any questions about my Bayliner so far ... as it stands the answers I needed were already out there!

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I had a recent question concerning my live we'll leaks. I have been keeping everyone in that thread posted as to my findings and what I have tried and such. I almost did not do that as I thought maybe I would be making a pest of myself by sending comments on my own thread a few days in a row, but after reading this post, I guess you guys feel different. I will continue to keep you all posted on my results to my problem I have been working on and what I have tried and what worked out for me. Thanks!

mr 88

Commander
I have to agree, sometimes I wont even post a reply to help out because of the lack of thanks to all the replys, or yes I fixed it.Gets old helping out and the OP just disappears.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I had a recent question concerning my live we'll leaks. I have been keeping everyone in that thread posted as to my findings and what I have tried and such. I almost did not do that as I thought maybe I would be making a pest of myself by sending comments on my own thread a few days in a row, but after reading this post, I guess you guys feel different. I will continue to keep you all posted on my results to my problem I have been working on and what I have tried and what worked out for me. Thanks!

Bring it on. If we get tired of participating we can just scroll down to the next entry......but don't count on it if it looks like cooperative progress is being made.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Say folks, sure would be thoughtful of you to show those who help you in solving your problems a little courtesy and get back on here and tell us how it went. Kinda pays the bill if you get the drift. The more time one puts in an answer, the more involved the person is and the more they want to know if they were helpful or just blowing hot air. Really helps the next guy-gal that comes along wanting some help.

Glad you said this Mark. This is the chief reason I rarely take the time to respond to a post anymore as it seems like such a waste of time when no response is ever forthcoming and that is the rule not the exception.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Help because you like to help, not for the thanks.

Same in life

Not helping today because you didnt get a thanks yesterday is short sighted, and on you. If you help and dont get a thanks, then thats on whomever you helped. Doesnt change that you DID help.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I find this happens on ALL forums I am on. New guy comes in and asks a huge question then never to be heard from again. Many times I think because they can't remember their password and can't be bothered to find it. This forum I actually think is better than most.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Help because you like to help, not for the thanks.

Same in life

Not helping today because you didnt get a thanks yesterday is short sighted, and on you. If you help and dont get a thanks, then thats on whomever you helped. Doesnt change that you DID help.

It's not the thanks per se, sir, it's the conclusion! Without it you are just blowing hot air!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Mark, I didnt quote you, so my comment wasnt directed to you.

Other posters mentioned helping less because a "thanks" wasnt given.

Resolution for every topic would be nice, I agree

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Mark, I didnt quote you, so my comment wasnt directed to you.

Other posters mentioned helping less because a "thanks" wasnt given.

Resolution for every topic would be nice, I agree

Thanks for clarifying that sir, my error.

mr 88

Commander
I have to agree, sometimes I wont even post a reply to help out because of the lack of thanks to all the replys, or yes I fixed it.Gets old helping out and the OP just disappears.

I am the only one that mentioned thanks and if you READ my post it says "lack of thanks to ALL the replys OR yes I fixed it "

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This has to be the most pointless thread I have ever opened. I had a whole lot more written but decided you all aren't worth my effort. Thanks guys really...thank you. From the bottom of my heart. Thanks. This is a perfect example of a thread that SHOULD just die off quietly. Thanks

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Look guys, i dont want to start a war here. I Feel I was a bit to short with you all last night. It was late and I had a bad week. This thread just hit a cord with me. I have been on the other side of this equation and it is frustrating. I abandoned my build thread for a few years because noone was answering any of my questions. I saw the views and actually got no replies when begging for advice on a possible leaky hull. I have discussed in another thread all the reasons why this happens but I always felt like I somehow offended the wrong person and had been shunned. I still feel that i am not getting alot of respones to my thread. If not for one or two guys here i would be talking to myself. It makes me really appreciate those few who have helpped or even responded with a simple, "nice job". I decided to finish my thread if for nothing else than to document my work and possibly help somone in the future who might find my thread on a google search of the same problem.

It sucks when noone will give simple advice because they think you won't appreciate the answer or assume you aren't worth the effort. I still need the advice just the same. This thread also speaks to the attitude we get when speaking to the pros at some repair shops. They always speak down to you and seem bothered that you walked in looking for advice or even parts for an older engine. A local shop in my town is like this and it makes it hard to shop local when their advice is always to junk the motor and buy new. Just read some of your responses again and think of someone that is new to this or that has spent hours searching online to no avail for an answer. Maybe you should assume that your advice worked and that they are just done with the computer and off boating because it is nice out and their boat finally works. I would think that if the problem still existed that they would be right back here asking for more advice. The truth is that many of these people get in over their heads and once they realize they can't afford the time or money needed to invest in this hobby that the boat just goes up on Craigslist and they are out of boating. Please guys, if you don't feel like responding anymore....keep that to yourself. You come off sounding above it all on this thread, something I would hate for this site to become. I would hope, and I'm pretty sure, that this thread is just an example of a very few people here. Keep helping people iboats forum members. You are the only port in the storm in most cases and you are appreciated even if not told so in every instance.

NHGuy

Captain
Hi, Pat sorry that no one stepped up in your times of need.
I kinda like the original concept of this thread though.
There are often threads of engines getting hot after a run and engines bogging or shutting after some time. Those ones never seem to come back with their eventual resolution. And I really wish I knew what the solutions were/are.
I REALLY enjoy working through the issues. Most especially on carbureted models because they act a lot like the cars we had growing up.

Pat keep at it, when you get it done you will be so happy!

I built my first engine from scratch this past winter and it was awesome. I'm hoping to go run it again tomorrow, but the weather could be sketchy.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
This has to be the most pointless thread I have ever opened. I had a whole lot more written but decided you all aren't worth my effort. Thanks guys really...thank you. From the bottom of my heart. Thanks. This is a perfect example of a thread that SHOULD just die off quietly. Thanks

I haven't read your post on page 2 (yet) but I wanted to share this with you. I think it should qualify for a Sticky. I think it's right there with the other topics outlined in the Stickeys, sort of like forum courtesy. Surely it takes as much thought as "opening an old post" even if there was something there that you wished to have qualified and felt that reopening that one was the best way to do it.

Now we have 2 opinions on opposite sides of the table. I did notice you were from NY. I'm from Texas. Different customs, obviously!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Pat, If I don't know the answer I don't BS the poster; I leave it be (pass) thinking it will be answered properly, or direct them to ping someone whom I think is very knowledgeable and has proven that on this forum over the years on that particular subject.

Sometimes if it's vague and I think I may be able to help if I get more information, I ask for that rather than offer an answer. If I'm guessing I tell you so. I'm a retired professional and still march to the drumbeat of professional courtesy in that I usually post my references for my comments so that you can judge for yourself as to whether or not you choose to accept my offering and the validity of it.

And, iterating what I said initially, the longer you stay with a problem, the more involved you are and the more you want to see the thing through. The least that should happen is that you find out how it went!

"Nuf of that". Let's go boating!

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I'm on several Ford Mustang Forums and a couple other car Forums. We call the people who post a question for a problem they are having and never come back on what the fix was, "One Post Wonders". :)