Smart trim question

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just to clarify....I'm sure you guys know but the 26.5 ft rendezvous boats do not have a deep V, they have the catamaran style hull....do not if that makes a difference.
Actually didn't know.

We had a 27' Bayliner Victoria that was also underpowered. It was a challenge getting it up on plane and keeping it up on plane. It would have been hopeless without having adjustable tabs.

alldodge

Staff member
Not arguing or contradicting but, why would I need hydraulic, what is the benefit? How do the other "ones/styles" create drag?

The non-hydraulic tabs use gas or spring pressure to apply force on a tab to help push the bow down. This pressure is always there and the tabs cannot be brought up to remove all pressure/drag. Hydraulic tabs can be adjusted from the helm individually (port/starboard), and can be brought full out of the water thereby removing all drag.

As others have mentioned you would do better with building more HP before any tabs

Blackbart5

Seaman
The non-hydraulic tabs use gas or spring pressure to apply force on a tab to help push the bow down. This pressure is always there and the tabs cannot be brought up to remove all pressure/drag. Hydraulic tabs can be adjusted from the helm individually (port/starboard), and can be brought full out of the water thereby removing all drag.

As others have mentioned you would do better with building more HP before any tabs

Gotcha, makes sense...too, I would love to swap engines but funds are not allowing it right now. So the tabs is the cheaper way right now. Certainly won't hurt from the sound of it.

burtonrider11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To answer the OP's question, it depends. I would call Nauticus, excellent customer service and they do say that the Smartabs are not for every application. Your boat would definitely benefit from tabs of some sort. I can't say if hydraulic/electric would be a better option the the gas filled shocks/springs like the Nauticus. Being at the size that it is, even with an engine upgrade, you could use some trim tabs of some sort. I would suspect that at your size, you may need to use a bennett or similar style tab.

I understand that some people think the smart tabs are anything but smart. However, speaking from personal experience, we have a 20ft bowrider with 5.7l V8 that porpoised and didn't get on plane to my liking. I installed the tabs last winter and have nothing but good things to say. Boat planes much quicker with much less bow rise. The ride is WAY smoother (we go out on Lake Michigan which can range from light to heavy chop or big rollers) and I notice no loss of cruising speed. I have not been able to make any WOT passes due to traffic, load, conditions etc, however, I'll be interested to see if there is an increase or decrease in top speed. Though it did not eliminate it, it did lessen the amount of wander at no wake speeds as well.

To be clear, the smart tabs are not the magic bullet for every application, but for smaller, single engine boats, they make for a really cost effective and easy to install upgrade. I was able to buy a factory blemished set here from iboats for $99. Easily the best cost per dollar upgrade we've spent for our boat.