Smart trim question

Blackbart5

Seaman
Hello fellow boating people. I have a '95 rendezvous 2659 with the turd 5.0. I'm looking for a 5.7 but that's a different topic.....its propped correctly .I was inquiring about those smart trim tabs and if they would help get that heavy hop on plane sooner....and too, which ones should I get? I've seen different models based off length and or horse power. The one I'm looking at is the nauticus sx 10512-70 or the 90??????

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I'd call Nauticus. You're at the upper limit in boat size for self-adjusting tabs and it would be good to get their advice. Excellent customer service.

My .02

alldodge

Staff member
I would suggest going for Real smart tabs made by Bennett, leave the imitation alone

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Just don't fall for the whale tail, foil thing someone is going to come along and brag about how it'll correct everything from global warming to planing out a 30' steel cruiser with a 20 HP motor. :lol:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
WOW...that's a big boat for a 5.0 I would be putting in a 7.4L before i put in a 5.7.

Don't waste your time with Smart Tabs. Look for Bennett tabs.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would suggest going for Real smart tabs made by Bennett, leave the imitation alone

Who exactly is imitating who? They use different technology - SLTs are springs and Nauticus is gas. And from what I can see, Smart tabs were around before the SLT line. Maybe Tabman can clarify, but I can't see anything in existence in a self leveling tab from Bennett that predates the smart tabs from Nauticus.

That's not to get off the point so much though; in a boat the OP's size, he needs adjustable tabs, and Bennetts are the way to go.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I thought the Nauticus were springs as well. Doesn't matter,..they are a poor choice for a large boat.

Blackbart5

Seaman
Just don't fall for the whale tail, foil thing someone is going to come along and brag about how it'll correct everything from global warming to planing out a 30' steel cruiser with a 20 HP motor. :lol:
Oh i already decided im not going with that thing, lol

Blackbart5

Seaman
WOW...that's a big boat for a 5.0 I would be putting in a 7.4L before i put in a 5.7.

Don't waste your time with Smart Tabs. Look for Bennett tabs.

Id love to drop a 7.4. But i know same vintage will bolt straight up with a 5.7. Dont know bout jumpin to a big block.

Blackbart5

Seaman
While appreciate the input from guys with more experience, i have a question...the nauticus sx covers all sizes and weights of boat that we use/own. Why would they not sufice. Theres one made that covers my boat. Whats wrong with it? Why bennett?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
For smaller boats like my stern heavy 18'r with a 205 HP 4.3 LX the Nauticus SX tabs have worked nothing short of fantastic. I would recommend them all day long but for a 26'r I have no idea how well they would work out for you. I'm for calling Nauticus and talk to them.

alldodge

Staff member
My point is in the word "smart" neither smart or self leveling tabs are smart, and my mistake was not mentioning hydraulic. The OP needs full hydraulic tabs not dumb tabs that keep a drag on the boat at all times

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
My point is in the word "smart" neither smart or self leveling tabs are smart, and my mistake was not mentioning hydraulic. The OP needs full hydraulic tabs not dumb tabs that keep a drag on the boat at all times

Ever use non hydraulic tabs? There are very few negative complaints from people who have actually run them. I've never had them on a boat of that size, but at least for 22' and under (boats I've owned), I much prefer smart tabs. They literally do provide a shock absorber affect that a fixed hydraulic tab can't do.

My current jetboat, 17'5', has a fixed hydraulic ride plate which is essentially one big centrally mounted tab. It is great at being adjustable for planing, but does nothing for ride quality. I've had the opportunity recently to ride in an identical hull with smart tabs on the back, and the ride different was substantially better! (enough that the wife questioned why this boat rides so much better, she knows absolutely nothing about boats.) Also, no difference in top speed.

alldodge

Staff member
Put something in the water which puts a drag on a boat and there is no impact, that's a pretty good opinion.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Ever use non hydraulic tabs?
I have used hydraulic helm adjustable tabs on boats between 22' and 27'. There are many times, in fact MOST times, that you do NOT want "dumb" tabs sticking in the water creating drag.

Curious...have you ever used Bennett or other helm adjustable tabs on a deep V hull like the OP has?

Last edited:

Blackbart5

Seaman
Not arguing or contradicting but, why would I need hydraulic, what is the benefit? How do the other "ones/styles" create drag?

Blackbart5

Seaman
I have used hydraulic helm adjustable tabs on boats between 22' and 27'. There are many times, in fact MOST times, that you do NOT want "dumb" tabs sticking in the water creating drag.

Curious...have you ever used Bennett or other helm adjustable tabs on a deep V hull like the OP has?

Just to clarify....I'm sure you guys know but the 26.5 ft rendezvous boats do not have a deep V, they have the catamaran style hull....do not if that makes a difference.