1999 Lowe 179FM water in transom

greenju17

Recruit
I got this boat from my father in law and he bought it new in 1999. I bought it from him 3 years ago, and just last year I stated noticing little bubbles in the paint on the back of the transom. I scratched the bubbles and some of them have little pin holes with water running out of them. There were about 3 of them last year, and I noticed 2 more this year. They are all at the same level (if you drew a line on the back of the boat, about halfway up, all they bubbles/holes would be there), so they are all consistent.

So, I decided to take off the top transom trim and the boards from the 2 back storage compartments. I took some of the foam out form the storage compartments and noticed water sitting in them. Also, there is water sitting in between the wood and the metal on the transom? Anybody having this sort of problem with their boat? I did just get back from a week up north where the boat sat in the water the whole week and we did get some rain. the water was up to the floor boards in the boat. The level of water between the wood and metal on the transom is about the same height as the rain water in the boat. So could the water have gotten back there form that?

I don't like the water in the transom nor do i like these little pin holes showing up on the outside metal of the transom. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or any suggestions about this issue

Thanks

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Fiberglass or aluminum hull?

Either way, you are in for a helluva repair job. All of that wood has to get replaced.

greenju17

Recruit
Its aluminum. The wood is not rotten at all, so I don't need to replace it just yet, its all solid. As of now I am drying it all out, and looking to find where it is coming in from.

As far as the pin holes though the transom, some are saying I have electric current eating away at the aluminum?? I'm going to check all my wiring to see if anything might be touching the aluminum at all.....go from there I guess????

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: greenju17 to iboats. Nice you join us...

With the little info you provided, this could be a lot more involved then you may think. The "pin" holes on the outside of the aluminum transom does point to problems inside the transom. And those pin hole just didn't start with the boat sitting in the recent rain either. So regardless how solid you think the transom is, you have to fix the pin hole issue now. If they are from aluminum corrosion, that sounds like it started from the inside in my opinion. However, there is way more damage then you can see. Post a couple or three pictures of those bubble or pin holes and the other water soaked foam areas and we can then offer advice to how you need to proceed. Obviously you have a lot of water that is hampering the boat's weight. So post those pictures and let's figure out what is going on. JMHO

wahlejim

If the wood is wet, there is no drying it out. It will fail sooner rather than later. The transom needs to get replaced. It is clear that water has made its way through the wood and to the aluminum hull. It is bad news, yes, but repairable.

TyeeMan

The pin holes could be from electrolysis. Check ALL your electrical connections and make sure nothing is grounded to the chassis of the boat. All negative wires must go to the battery one way or another.