Sunbrella Boat Cover

Alaboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the shopping mode for a new boat cover. My pitiful Attwood canvas cover has always leaked. I slowed it down a little last year with some waterproofing stuff but only lasted for several months. I'm looking into a Sunbrella cover here on iboats and they run about $450 with a 10 year warranty. Any thoughts or feedback on these covers?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The Hot Shot material from TaylorMade is another good, somewhat less expensive, option if they have the pattern for your boat. I got a custom fit cover in that material from here at iboats for only $320, and have been impressed with it. I garage my boat, but I moved from NY to SC in the middle of winter one year with this cover, over multiple days, and the inside of the boat stayed completely dry even driving through a blizzard and then freezing rain.

Just make sure you use a support pole to stop any pooling, and you'll be good to go either way.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Do you get any leakage during rainstorms; does your boat stay dry and well ventilated with cover on?

yes it dose, i had a custom one made 5 years ago and my boat stays on a wet slip 9 months of the year and in that time it has not faded or leaked, about ever two or three years it needs a treatment of their fabric guard to keep it water proof because its a breathable fabric but thats importaint to keep mold down

Last edited:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I bought one for my new 22 ft Islander. It had a fuzzy soft lining. Did not leak at all.

fishrdan

Admiral
I bought a Subrella cover 3 -4 years ago, and while the Sunbrella material is in great shape, all the seam thread started rotting out. (Boat sits in the desert sun 24x7/365.) I sent the cover back to the manufacturer and they re-stitched the cover under warranty, so I'm happy with their service.

The cover does well for shedding water and keeping the boat dry, except for where the bow mount trolling motor puckers the cover and creates a loose area that will pool water. I can't fault the cover since it's a semi-custom cover, and the manufacturer would have no idea how the TM sits on my boat, but otherwise, the cover fits my boat perfectly.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Depending on use and storage arrangement would dictate what kind of cover you should purchase?

Sunbrella: Great all weather cover; however, it does shrink and fade over time and for extended outside stays in winter where's there's a chance for snow build-up or ice damming I wouldn't want it to be my first line of defense.IMHO one of the best fabrics for covers, if I could only purchase one.

Sharkhide: Is fair better suited for extended, wet or snowy climates; however, not as breathable as Sunbrella.

So, depending on use? I have both Sunbrella covers and treated with 303 fabric guard, holds-up very well to seasonal, summer rains. When I know it's going to be a rainy week, I use my full cover Sharkhide (also what I used as the cover for my Baja. Sheds water very well and has a decent ice dam rigidity, meaning the ice doesn't penetrate the fabric and then melt into the boat.

Be interested on other's experiences?

~Brett