85 Century vs 88 Sea Seville GO...

heinric

Recruit
First time buyer and picking between these two beauties. Both old but very very clean. Run great, upholstry great, no leaks, etc etc. Overall great boats. Was wondering if anyone with more boating history could offer an opnion on these and/or maybe which model year or manufacturer is better? Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I had an '88 SR Sorrento, which is the sister to the Seville. it was powered by a 4.3LX (205HP) MerCruiser sterndrive.

The boat had fancy fittings and seats. However, under all the fancy stuff was inconsistant quality control. For example, parts of the deck had a good amount of fiberglass (cloth and resin) on them, and other parts just resin only. The poor quality components failed, and the high quality components lasted.

Maybe the boat was made on a Monday?

Had the boat been made with consistant quality, it would have been superior, as the design of the hull was good, and the power was good.

JMO

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What motors and drives in each?

They're old boats; the better condition one is the one worthy of your dollars.

jkust

Rear Admiral
So what you are saying is that all else equal, and both boats are pristine with zero condition issues, you want to know just the pros and cons of each model as though you were shopping for new boats side by side? Post some pictures and the specs for each of the two boats.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
If everything but the power plant is in identical shape, solid transom, solid floor, good vinyl, trim pumps work the same without any sticking or jumping, and priced identical, I would pick the one with the better engine and drive

heinric

Recruit
Thank you all for the reply's. I went with the 85 Century. being 31 years old it's definitely got some cosmetic dings, scratches and what not, but I took it on a test drive and it was very nice. The 88 Sea Ray while nice had been in salt water a good amount and i'm in a fresh water lake so when I found that out I thought maybe best to stick with the boat that all things being equal ran great and had lived IN the lake I use it in. Lastly is there a good place to find OEM parts for boats? Specifically Century Boats? Thanks again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The parts you will need will almost all be for the engine. What kind do you have?

heinric

Recruit
I think it's a 5.7L V8 Chevy small block. And you're probably right that most parts will be for that. But There are a couple things like broken vent covers and a couple gauges that need changing. So I was hoping like with cars sometimes that there are websites where you can fine original emblems, parts, etc. i May be an idiot for asking cause with cars sometimes you gotta go to a junk yard...but I don't know where there are boat junk yards :)

Thx

southkogs

Staff member
So I was hoping like with cars sometimes that there are websites where you can fine original emblems, parts, etc. i May be an idiot for asking cause with cars sometimes you gotta go to a junk yard...but I don't know where there are boat junk yards :)
Not an idiot ... we all gotta' start somewhere ...

Some things (particularly for a Century 'cuz the older ones have a following) you'll be able to find the brand specific stuff if you search around (eBay or marine salvage yards, etc). Many items will be things that weren't specific to the manufacturer, so you can just buy replacements that fit (Anchor light poles, cleats, bow eyes, for example).

"Vintage" boats aren't like vintage cars. If it was a wooden Century or a Coronado, the story might be different. But for the most part, you just wanna' make yours run and look nice ... the way you want it.