Another name for "spinner knob"?

DevonS

Seaman
This should be easy...It's killing me, but I can't find a "spinner knob" for my new boat lift. It's a handle thingy that mounts to the big-azz wheel. Like this: http://www.buyhewitt.com/spinner-knob-w-bolt/

I'm thinking I should be able to find something serviceable in any hardware store, but all I find when searching online it's the stupid steering wheel suicide spinner things.

outdoorsman1962

Seaman Apprentice
This should be easy...It's killing me, but I can't find a "spinner knob" for my new boat lift. It's a handle thingy that mounts to the big-azz wheel. Like this: http://www.buyhewitt.com/spinner-knob-w-bolt/

I'm thinking I should be able to find something serviceable in any hardware store, but all I find when searching online it's the stupid steering wheel suicide spinner things.

Barney knob?

alldodge

Staff member
The ones for steering wheels use to be called suicide knobs, but if you google boat lift spinner knob it comes up with several places

dwco5051

Commander
The ones for steering wheels use to be called suicide knobs

I remember as a teenager (about 60 years ago) we used to call them ?lovers? knobs? because you could steer with one hand and have the other arm around your date. No power steering back then so it took a lot of cranks on the wheel to make a turn.

We also called them ?cowboy knobs? since you could make a lot of dumb maneuvers with one. I am sure some of the older fellows on this site can remember making the bootleggers turn where you pulled on the parking brake and locked up the rear wheels and went into a sideways slide, spun the steering wheel back and thus executed a 180 turn on a two lane road in one easy step. Tried that once with my new to me 1955 Plymouth and tore up the differential into a lot of small pieces. Forgot the parking brake was on the driveshaft.

DevonS

Seaman
Thanks for the input guys. I'm on the right track at least. I'll dig around locally first, but at least I have a few ways to describe what I'm looking for.