What should my boat weigh (possible water logged)

pmjr0987

Seaman
Hey guys quick question. 1985 fourwinns horizon 195 cuddy cabin. Alpha 1 with a mercruiser 5.7 260hp iron block v8.

1985 Twin axle ezloader trailer with 13 inch tires.

Boat was empty when i weighed it besides two anchors and a full tank (20 gallons) of gas.

Total weight was 4,560 #.

Seems very heavy to me. What should this setup weight normally? I cant find this information anywhere!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
The 1985 FourWinns listed here is an outboard, not an I/O, but only weighs 1600lbs

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Four_Win.../33br1188s1974

Add 1K for the trailer and 1K for the I/O and you're still over weight by 1K+/-...

NADA lists an I/O at 2400lbs, same net, add 1K for trailer and you're still over by 1K.

Sounds waterlogged to me, unless that trailer weighs 2K.

Float the boat off the trailer and weigh the trailer solo. The recycler closest to me, allows me to drive over the scales for free anytime theres not a line. Or a truck stops scales might too. That'll give you just the weight of the boat when the trailer only is deducted from the combined 4560lbs.

Last edited:

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
My buddy had an 89 fourwinns 195 cuddy. We weighed his and my 23 foot Islander on the way back from the lake a few years ago. You are about 150 lbs heavier then he was. And he had been running the boat all day. He also suspected his boat was heavier than it should be but out on the water it performed just fine.

pmjr0987

Seaman
Thanks for the responces guys. Yea on the water it runs fantastic, i can stay on plain at 2500 rpm and its pretty good on fuel, top speed is nearly 50 mph. I just feel like its too damn heavy. And it sits about 2 inches lower than i feel like it should but i suppose it doesnt really matter too much if it performs well

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Mod EDIT: check your PMs fh
Get good air circulation going through the hull, under the deck and floor, any time its parked on the trailer.

Don't let water sit in the bilge.

Last edited by a moderator: