Bilge pump replacement

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys,

I know I've had a lot of questions lately about my new boat I picked up (new to me boat). One more please! I have a 1991, Smoker craft 161 Magnum boat. How can I possibly get to the bilge pump to change it once it fails? (& the live well pump too actually). At the rear of the boat, I have a section that holds the batteries on the starboard side of the boat and a live well (bait well) on the port side. The pumps are way down below and behind these items and the structure around them. I can barely touch the two pumps let alone reach them to change them. Does the boat have to come apart back there in order to change the pumps? It appears to be the only alternative in order to change them, but I cannot believe the manufacturer would have made it that difficult to do!! Thanks.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Unfortunately some do, remember the pump was probably installed before all the other panels were installed. Same with auto manufacturers, look at all the stuff that has to be removed before a mechanic can get to the problem, no wonder auto service is so expensive. Some of us that have been in this situation use a new pump attached to an aluminum plate that we slide into position and attach with a screw or rivet to a crossmember and just leave the old pump there. Of course you have to get to the discharge hose, but yes you may have some serious taking apart to get to the area you need. Designers only want to make inexpensive construction and care less about repair afterwards.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Just went through this today with my old aluminum Starcraft.
I couldn't get at the remnants of the old pump so the bracket and piece of plastic will stay there. I removed the pump and wiring and installed the new one to the transom brace with some 4200 and 5200 ( because the 4200 ran out).
Don't worry about getting the old pump out.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I can remove the batteries to make a little more room, but I like the ideas about just leaving the old pump in there. The only problem I can see with that is getting to the discharge hose. I did however find a plastic like disc on the rear dashboard (or spill tray or whatever that is called at the back end of the boat) Maybe a splash pan????? Anyway, I removed the lid & opened this 6" or maybe an 8" access hole and I can actually reach both pumps with my arm down this access hole which I didn't know was there (the boat is new to me). I can only get one arm down there though, so I do not know what I will be able to do with one hand on the pumps, but it will help somewhat, I suppose. Thanks for your ideas guys about just leaving the old pump there if it quits working.