1991 Celebrity 230VC Questions

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Hi all...

I picked up my boat and am now going through it and doing the little work it needs. Basically a good cleaning from stem to stern. I got the battery in and fired it up today...runs like a champ but then again with only 340hrs on the thing(91 Celebrity 230/5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha One) I rather expected it to. Paid $5k for it...I think I got a great deal. Just needed a little TLC.

So anyhow, I just put in 10 gallons of gas and some Schaffer Neutra and a new F/W filter on the engine to ensure the fuel system cleans itself up. I've been using Schaffer products in my vehicles for years. Good stuff...I'd recommend it over the "Sta-Bil" products without hesitation.

Does anyone have a link to a Mercruiser manual for this engine? I'd like to also find a hard copy eventually as well.

Trim Tabs; I believe I have the Bennett trim tabs of that era. They're hydraulically actuated via a "joystick" type control at the helm(pictured). They both work fine but I'd also like to find out if any sort of documentation/exploded drawings are still available for future reference.

As you can see, it's been taken care of pretty well. I've shown the hour meter, however I don't think it's correct. I've just run it for a total of 15 min or so and the meter has advanced about an hour. Is there a way to calibrate it? If that's how it's been throughout it's life...the engine probably only has 100 actual hrs on it since it's purchase in 1991 by the owners I bought it from.

Oh...It has a marine radio but the antenna was broken. Anyone recommend a good one to purchase? I know Shakespeare is a good brand. Any other options?

Thanks for the time!

Attachments

• photo248102.jpg
    photo248102.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248104.jpg
    photo248104.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248105.jpg
    photo248105.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248766.jpg
    photo248766.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo248767.jpg
    photo248767.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 0

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you check the stickys at the top of the mercruiser section for your manual? Maybe your hour meter was ready to flip that next hour and your 15mins of running was enough, I would run it and time it before you worry about calibration also maybe the meter is running with just the key on, just a thought! Nice boat !!

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I would run it and time it before you worry about calibration also maybe the meter is running with just the key on, just a thought!

I had a '90 Celebrity and I put close to 200 hours on the engine hour meter when the key got left on. The Larson Hampton I owned before my SeaRay had one of those joystick controls for the tabs. Hated it and replaced with the rocker style switch. Money well spent!

Oshkosh1

Ensign
A couple of questions regarding the TT's.

Lets say I've run them to correct a list so they're asymmetrical. Will I need to wait until they equalize when I go either full up or full down, or will they do it the first time I go "Trim up" or "Trim down" prior to hitting their stop?

IRT the controls; I assume the wiring is identical and I would just need to cut the dash to fit the square shape?

Thanks again!

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Took it for it's first sea trial. Boat really ran well. Those trim tabs take a little time to get used to but I got it pretty well figured out. It popped up on plane quickly with little bow rise and once I had it trimmed up on the chine, I was hitting 40mph running 4k RPM. I had a little light chop and it really rode nice. Much nicer than my 19'...much heavier for sure! I wasn't wide open and I had a bit left but I'll save that for next time. My guess is that I should see 4300-4500 RPM and 45mph in this boat.

Considering it's running OEM plugs/wires/cap/rotor I was pretty satisfied with how it performed. I wanted to get it out and running before I start tuning...just in case I found something really wrong I won't have stuck a bunch of money in tune-up items only to find I have rod knock or something. Now, I will start getting it tuned up and waxed. Thanks for the input!

Last edited: