Fuel coming out of vent when re-fuelling .

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 84 Ba ylinner with an AQ125 inboard.
The vent is like 20 inches over from the fill at the back of the haul and when filling at the pumps the fuel will start coming out of the vent before the pump will click off.
There has to be a fix for this other than placing a drip tray below the boat .

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think your overfilling it, I always figure what my tank size is and put fuel in according to what my gauge is reading. In my case my vent is about 2' lower than my fill so if I waited till the pump stopped I would dump gas all over!

Last edited:

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an '85 and it does the same. But I trailer so I don't feel as bad about it at the gas station. Have someone watch the fuel gauge and stop short

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just my .02 but I think You should really figure out your capacity and fuel accordingly, I was always told fill about 90% of capacity that way you have room for expansion and if you boat is not level at the station when you put it in the fuel doesn't come pouring out when it's level or trying to plane. Depends on where your fill and vent are as to when it's gonna come out. Just for instance if your fill and vent are at the stern and you fill it all the way up the fill neck when you go to get on plane you will be dumping fuel out the vent and in the water!

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
the fuel will start coming out of the vent before the pump will click off.

You're overfilling. If you wait for the pump to click off you'll blow fuel out the vent every time. The pump will not click off until pressure rises in the fill hose. That can only happen if the vent hose has already started to fill with fuel. You need to estimate how much fuel you need and listen closely as you approach that point for the change in sound that says you're full.

My .02

Last edited:

-JR-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am aware I am over filling it ,and its very hard to see the gauges as the boat is covered in with a tarp.
Just thought someone has thought of a fix. Like tie the vent hose into the fill hose and vent cap like it is done on automobiles .
Just the other day it was 1/2 a tank and and maybe a gallon got in and it burt it self out of the vent. then it took more fuel for the fill.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to agree with everybody else. Seems you are over filling it because the vent is either lower then the fill inlet, or they could even be the same level. But that does lend to the fuel problems you are experiencing too. I do remember my bass boat took fuel extremely slow because the inlet hose was routed in such a tight fashion, I had to baby the fill ups if I was ever going to get it fueled up. So as others suggested, think about how many gallons you need and only fuel up that much. After a learning experience happens, you will be able to predict pretty close to what you need at the pumps. JMHO!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have seen fuel vent overflow collector devices that are simply a plastic bottle that suction cups over the vent while refueling, but I couldn't find a link for you. I agree that estimating your fuel needs instead of overfueling is that correct way to go, but a vent catch bottle would be a good idea, just in case.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have a boat that does the same thing, my solution is to slow down on fuel delivery when I know it is near full. I can hear the air rushing from the vent, when I hear it is close to coming out I slow the pump down to as little fuel as it will deliver and can get a couple more gallons in her without venting but the fuel delivery must be very slow!!!

s.hadley81

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can buy a fuel whistle that lets you know when your full, I would imagine it works similar to home heating oil whistles.