Reflectix Spiral Duct Wrap for Soundproofing?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
That stuff does very little for soundproofing, it is basically silver bubble wrap. (ie, a layer of mylar, some air, and another layer of mylar) Essentially it is more or less just air that is contained in a stationary pocket. Works great for temperature insulation though.

Didn't check if iboats has it, but search for soundown marine. That is marine rated sound proofing material that will do exactly what you need. To do soundproofing effectively, you need both heavy stuff and light stuff. Heavy stuff works by mass dampening and generally cuts out low frequencies. Light stuff (foam) absorbs high frequency sounds that have small wavelengths.

(used to build lots of car audio competition vehicles, it was standard to do a layer (or multiple) of the heavy stuff, usually raammat, followed by at least one layer of foam on top of it, usually ensolite.)

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
What are you trying to soundproof? Dynomat is a good product and not too thick.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trying to sound proof the dog house and engine compartment a little better. Trying to find some of Quick Roof Aluminum locally but no luck.
http://www.cofair.com/roof.aspx

Apparently it works well. I think Dynomat is too expensive for my old 1990 cuddy - but I hear it works really well.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you are just looking for a quick and cheap sound reduction buy some cans of aotomotive undercoating spray. Three coats will help. Also, make sure you seal any open air passage near the doghouse edges. A small opening can pass quite a bit of sound.
I think the aluminum roof will not do a lot. The aluminum part of it does nothing for sound.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Trying to sound proof the dog house and engine compartment a little better. Trying to find some of Quick Roof Aluminum locally but no luck.
http://www.cofair.com/roof.aspx

Apparently it works well. I think Dynomat is too expensive for my old 1990 cuddy - but I hear it works really well.

Asphalt based stuff (the link above) is about half as effective as butyl based sound deadening (raammat, dynamat, etc). In a car audio environment, you NEVER want to use asphalt as it releases carcinogenic chemicals when warm, but in a boat engine compartment, shouldn't be a problem!