Looking for some help finding out more about my boat

Maynewayne74

Recruit
Just bought a 74 reinell 25ft cuddy with 165 mercruiser stern drive and I need help getting some more info about it weight, capacity etc....campion recently bought reinell and they can't (or won't) tell me a damn thing any ideas?

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
In 1979 someone broke into the Reinell Office and stole a lot of the records. Of course they were going through bancruptcy at the time so who did it is anyone's guess. But they were never recovered so a lot of info is missing. It is very typical that when boat companies change hands, the new company doesn't want any connection to the old and does not have any of the records. Protects them from liability. However there is a lot of information available on the engine. I have the 165 in my 1972 Sea Ray. Excellent engine.

See for the manual http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/ma...ser1.html#/346
There is a lot of info on parts for the engine here on iboats as well.
As for weight capacity, the USCG does not require a capacity label for boat 20 feet and up so you can probably judge it from similar 25 foot boats. How much does the boat weigh? Take it to a local scale, have it and the trailer weighed. Launch the boat, weigh the trailer. subtract the trailer weight from the boat and trailer weight.

By the way in 1972 Reinell did produce a 24 foot but they called it the 2500. http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Reinell__RV-2500__1972/bp/66b71390

Last edited:

Maynewayne74

Recruit
thanks I think you are correct in that it isn't 25ft....how about the hull ID I get the November 1974 out of it but what does the rest tell me?
REN 04986M74D 223

jbcurt00

Staff member
Seems not a Rienell at all:
HIN Search results:

Success! REN04986M74D is of the standard HIN type called Model-Year HIN. If you are buying this boat/craft then you should get the boat history and Boat Insurance from the BoatU.S. Program.

REN HIN Decoder

Our HULL ID Decoder breaks down the Hull identification number into the following information:
The HIN or CIN you have entered meets the Model-Year HIN format. It might also be a type that contains the country code and thus the boat comes from USA or Other . The serial number of the HIN is 04986 and is set by the boat builder. This boat or vessel has a Certification Date of (74) and a Model Year of 74 with month of build (November) based on the formatting of your hull_identification_number (HIN) .

The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is REN. This MIC (REN) stands for the company name Rendova which is currently In Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (REN sometimes goes by these name(s) Rendova Marine, , , or .

This company (Rendova) is owned by Doug Armstrong and is located at 2330 SOUTH ANDREWS AVE in FT. LAUDERDALE state of FL. It manufactured this vessel and placed you HIN or CIN on the hull. The Parent Company for this boat maker is (). Rendova has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 10/11/1995 0:00.

Make sure to compare the date of boat manufacturing with the dates in which the company was actually in business.

The US Coast guard provides this comment about this watercraft manufacturer: Vessels Built And Shipped In Kits From Coast Rica. Vessels Assembled In Ft. Lauderdale, Fl 3/11/2008 Oob Per Ppg 100412, Ajk, Back In Business, Per Ibex Contact, Importing Outboard Powered Tender Hulls From China, Boats Finished In Fl..

More details at the US Coast Guard.

If you are purchasing this boat/hull then get the Boat History here or the BoatFax Report to complement it.

There are 0 boat Recalls for Rendova your vessel:

Rendova Boat Recalls for your HIN and MIC: 0.

Unless Rendova was the former parent company for Reinell. FYI, Campion Marine bought the Reinell brand earlier this year, might be why the Rendova is listed as out of business as of 5/2016:
RENDOVA

MIC: REN
Company: RENDOVA
Company Official: ARMSTRONG, DOUG
Parent Company:
Parent MIC:
Address: 2330 SOUTH ANDREWS AVE
City: FT. LAUDERDALE
State: FL
Zip: 33316
Phone: 8773585385
Fax:
In Business: 10/11/1995
Out of Business: 5/4/2016
Date Modified: 5/4/2016
Type: Importers
Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats
Addtional Address

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I know the people involved on both sides of the sale, the old original Reinell Co. has nothing to with either of the parties in this transaction, it's just the name that is the same.

Campion bought the current ski boat molds and nothing more, they know nothing about what was built 40 years ago, any history will be found online.

I had a couple of good friends that worked at Reinell in the 70's, one lives on his sailboat now and I lost track of the other one.

Maynewayne74

Recruit
I'm going to post some pics because I'm getting more and more confused as to what it is i bought....good news is it floats and starts😄