controlling plane (I think)

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've had this boat for 3 years, it was, and still is, a project boat. I just got it in the water for the first time and although it ran great, when I accelerate the bow almost stands straight up. It'll do this until I pick up some speed and then it levels out. I'm sure this sounds normal but it really is high, can barely see over the bow. The drive is all the way down. Thanks.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
That's pretty common, many boats will have enough bow rise to limit/block visibility while climbing on-plane. Assuming the boat is propped correctly and the drive truly is trimmed all the way down, the best solution is typically tabs of some sort. I like the Bennett trim tabs on my boat, they totally eliminate this issue, give me all kinds of load-leveling options, and allow me to trim the boat for a smooth ride in chop. The downside is that they are not inexpensive and they are electro-hydraulic requiring a somewhat complex installation. Smart tabs will fix the bow rise for a lot less money, and will likely help smooth the ride in chop, but offer no adjustability on the fly. Another option might be a hydrofoil fin on the drive. They are cheap and easy to install and might be just what you need, despite the bad press they get.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That is perfectly normal.

My question is, are you easing into your hole shot trying to get thru the bow rise phase of it into smooth planing, or are you mashing the throttle against the stops and transitioning quickly.

The reason I ask, I have been in many boats where people are affraid to give it any throttle to get thru the hole shot and suffer significant bow rise, wallowing in the hole, and in one case squatted the boat so much, water was comming over the splashwell.

If your giving it full throttle, bennet tabs are a great addition. If this is an outboard, a ventilated prop also helps get out the hole

southkogs

Staff member
Dunno' how much your Glastron weighs, but my old Silverline had that same engine (OMC outdrive) and with the weight of that boat (around 2,200#) she kinda' fought outta' the hole. Plus, being an older boat and motor I think it was feeling it's age :)

One thing that helped a little with the bow rise for me was a slight turn. Mine was a tri-hull, and I can't tell you why it helped ... but it did keep the nose down some.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Do you have any water in the hull? Rain may have gotten in her. That will add bow rise too.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
...water in the hull, in the wood (rot), in the floatation foam (if there is any), etc...

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Search for Nauticus Smart Tabs. I put a set on my Crownline 182. Not terribly expensive, and work great. Benefits for me were:
  • Better hole shot. Almost no bow rise at all, all the power gets applied in the direction you want to go
  • Smother ride in rough water
  • Reduced bow wander at no wake speed
Trade offs were:
  • Screws up my wake a bit for skiing. Not terrible, but noticeable.
  • Loss of about 2mph top end.
My boat is 18', with a 5.7L motor, so it is a bit stern heavy to begin with, but has scads of power for that size boat. The tabs really help make best use of the power I have, and since I bought the boat for water sports (and I am a big guy) a good hole shot is everything to me. Very happy with the results. You have to be ready to drill holes in your boat, but once I got past the mental block for that the install was really pretty easy.

ziggy

Admiral
can ya move some weight ya already got on board fwd? see what happens prior to modifying your boat w/tabs or whale tails etc..

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have to second Zigg's suggestion.....I have saw many boats especially older models with everything in the rear and I mean everything from fuel tanks to batteries to storage bins etc. On my boat the fuel tank has been moved forward to compensate for a kicker motor, the storage boxes were removed and moved forward under the seats, only the trim pump and batteries are in the rear with the engine. My boat now sits quite level and gets up on plane much more quickly. Anchors and such are stored in the cuddy cabin as no one like to ride in there anyway. Check for a water logged hull then adjust your weight before spending hard earned money.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
...water in the hull, in the wood (rot), in the floatation foam (if there is any), etc...

That was my first thought seeing he's running an older Glastron. It's definitely got flotation foam and there is a chance it's water logged and hampering the performance of the boat.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
That's pretty common, many boats will have enough bow rise to limit/block visibility while climbing on-plane. Assuming the boat is propped correctly and the drive truly is trimmed all the way down, the best solution is typically tabs of some sort. I like the Bennett trim tabs on my boat, they totally eliminate this issue, give me all kinds of load-leveling options, and allow me to trim the boat for a smooth ride in chop. The downside is that they are not inexpensive and they are electro-hydraulic requiring a somewhat complex installation. Smart tabs will fix the bow rise for a lot less money, and will likely help smooth the ride in chop, but offer no adjustability on the fly. Another option might be a hydrofoil fin on the drive. They are cheap and easy to install and might be just what you need, despite the bad press they get.

Bennett also makes BOLT electric Trim Tabs and SLT self leveling Trim Tabs as well as hydraulic systems. Both are very easy to install and the SLTs are much less expensive.

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/bolt

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/self-leveling-tabs-slt/

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, thanks for all the replies. This is my 1st boat and I've only had it in the water once so I'm not sure what I was doing at the time but I do know that it was so steep that I pulled out of the throttle a little because I thought I was standing straight up. When I was a teen, my folks had a Reinell that went bow up but it didn't take any time to plane out, this one seems to take awhile. Once it does plane out boy does it ride nice. It's very possible that it's water logged, it hasn't been covered the 3 years I've owned it, the upholstery was ok when I got it but it's going downhill fast. I will be covering it from now on. So if it is water logged will it ever dry out? I have a tilt trailer and I keep it tilted most of the time during the wet months. I hope the stringers are good, floor is solid. She weighs 3550 on the trailer and I don't have much stuff in her yet as I was trying to get it running before I loaded it up. I guess I'll just have to keep taking her out and try to figure things out. I'll definitely pay better attention to what I'm doing next time. Thanks for the links on the trim tabs, that definitely might be an option.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Open to the elements for 3 years? Sorry to say I think she is a goner. You most likely have rot under the floor. Will it ever dry out? Without taking the floor out most likely not.

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well if she is a goner, I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can. It is my first boat, paid $300 for her and $100 for the trailer. I'll learn on her, that way the scratches and rub marks don't matter.

MRS

Commander
Hey put the slt bennett tabs on and have fun got them on mine and keeps the bow down it is sweet!

77GlastronMT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well I got her out again today, I must not have had my drive all the way down before because today the bow didn't come up as high as it did the last time. I also accelerated faster. Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.