Canadian Boat Registration Challenges

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What about the last owner ?The last owner didn't even do it .See where I'm going?Even mine ,I cant find the bill of sale and the previous owner never licenced it either.Ive always just left the numbers as is and used them and ive never been asked about my boats in 35 plus years.

I imported my boat from the US as well and I've been running the Alabama tags for years. I should probably get around to doing it as well. IIRC the fine is a parkie wants to be a dink is over 200 bucks. Had a former co-worker get dinged around the same for operating a boat without one of the feel good boater licences.

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks to all for advice/support and interesting experiences. The process which I took very seriously ended up being more, it seems, a formality.
Simple straight forward give them all the info you have and bingo you have a boat license.
I now have the permanent and retained the old numbers that are on the boat.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Glad it all worked out. Apparently Canucks are the biggest offenders of not registering used boats. They stay in the sellers name for years. It really is simple to register even without a Transport Canada capacity plate like Scoutabout said. A few pics and a Notary Public's stamp and we were done. I didn't like the 80 bucks for the Notary though.

Wolfe64

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am happy to hear it all worked out in your favour !!!!!!

Mark

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Glad it all worked out. Apparently Canucks are the biggest offenders of not registering used boats. They stay in the sellers name for years. It really is simple to register even without a Transport Canada capacity plate like Scoutabout said. A few pics and a Notary Public's stamp and we were done. I didn't like the 80 bucks for the Notary though.

Didn't realize we were such scofflaws. 😊

I should have clarified that the seller cancelled his license with the NC fish and game commission and I properly imported it, paid the duties, taxes etc. and insured it. He wouldn't have been on the hook for anythingstill, feels good to finally go legit. 😎

Richmond2000

Seaman
Lat year I bought a 16 foot runabout of a CO worker and HE did NOT get a licence and there was NO numbers as he had painted it +
it was a 1970 Vanguard (made in my home city) with NO HIN or compliance plate at all and I used the "NEW" online one and declared NO HIN to be found (there is a check box) called it a 1970 Vanguard Vampire sent in 2 side shots as required + a scan of the bill of sale
received an automated response with a case # that will become my # and then a day later or so got the proper response and all was done
2 EZ really