Canadian Boat Registration Challenges

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm the new owner of a boat in Canada that the previous owner had never registered.
In the process of making this proper by registering the boat in my name.

It's a 1986 Thundercraft and I cannot locate the compliance plate in order to complete the application.
I do have the HIN but need some hints as to where the Compliance Plate would be located.

Assistance appreciated.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Either the transom or check around the edges on the inside even up under places. Also look for a patch where the gelcoat is in better condition about the same size as the plate. Might have been removed.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The plates are often on the starboard side near the helm. Sometimes very near the controls.

If you need to have a plate made, there are places on the Web. Found this Tcraft pic online and I think it's where I circled behind the remote control, kinda hard to see.

tcraft.PNG

Shooterdustin

Recruit
You might just be using the wrong terminology but you don't need to Register it but you do need to License it (there's a difference).
There's nothing on the form that says you need a compliance plate.
You do need make, model, length, propulsion type and colour.

They are not at all fussy unless you make it so.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/forms-formulaires/download/84-0172E_E_PD

I agree. I just licenced a boat I built myself and another that I just purchased. You may find it helpful to know there is a 1-800 number provided to you once you submit the form. Just fill out the "required"areas.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Have they loosened the rules on prior ownership.I know they did a study a few years back and they concluded that over 65 percent of the boats were not in the actual owners name .

Alumarine

Captain
Have they loosened the rules on prior ownership.I know they did a study a few years back and they concluded that over 65 percent of the boats were not in the actual owners name .

I didn't know there were "rules" for prior ownership.
They never used to care about the license.
Now you're supposed to keep a copy of the license in the boat and they only last for 10 years before you need to renew them.

I've never had trouble getting a license transferred to me. It's always been just a formality.

82rude

Rear Admiral
What about the last owner ?The last owner didn't even do it .See where I'm going?Even mine ,I cant find the bill of sale and the previous owner never licenced it either.Ive always just left the numbers as is and used them and ive never been asked about my boats in 35 plus years.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
What about the last owner ?The last owner didn't even do it .See where I'm going?Even mine ,I cant find the bill of sale and the previous owner never licenced it either.Ive always just left the numbers as is and used them and ive never been asked about my boats in 35 plus years.

You can use the old numbers or request a new one, your choice and a box to check for your choice.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Under reason for application would you check off abandoned?Like I said there could of been 20 owners of this boat before I got it.You guys live in Canada and know ulike our American friends people up here don't take licensing boats very seriously.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We came across the same problem when we bought an unlisenced boat in Ontario. It did not have a CDN Federal compliance plate because it was a US boat. Several photos of the actual boat including serial numbers and a notarized statement from a Notary Public and all was well with Transport Canada.

Wolfe64

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just did 2 boats with this online application and neither boat was in the name of the person I bought it off of, but a previous owner.
I did have a bill of sale for each boat and each boat had the pleasure craft license number on the side and on the bill of sale.
Just sent this in for the second boat and received the acknowledgement of application 90 day document still waiting for the permanent title.

Mark

https://www.pcl-pep.snbservices.ca/1...spx?lang=en-CA

Last edited:

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for all the input it is comforting to know I'm not alone in the experience of paper trail lacking.

Wolfe64

Petty Officer 3rd Class
BlueDart is there the Licence number on the side of the boat ????
FYI i received my permanent license document by email this morning for my second boat.
As I stated before, it was not in the guy's name I got it from, it was in the person's name he got it from.
The Bill of Sale was from the person I got it from.
It's like as long as Canada Transport runs the license number and the boat doesn't come up as stolen, they issue a new licence document ?????

Mark

BlueDart

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes thanks Mark.
I did go ahead with the same situation as you have outlined and have received the temporary so all looks to be in the works.
Yes I did have the license number and a copy of the license in the name of the owner before the one that I purchased from ... if that makes sense.

Wolfe64

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Cool I hope it all works out make sure you let us know
Mark

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
TC seems to have simplified the process. The Scout in my sig was purchased in North Carolina and trailered home but then I had the license issue plus needing a Canadian capacity/compliance plate. It was frustrating. They wouldn't accept the fact there was a Canadian Scout dealer network I could go to for a plate but instead insisted I submit a bunch of measurements and photos so they could basically reasses the boat's capacity all over again. Nuts.

I refused on principle (ya...guess how that went) and used the boat on our lake with the NC numbers like it was a transient vessel for some years. Finally, I conceded that story would not hold water with the authorities should I get stopped, I took a deep breath and decided to jump through the hoops just for piece of mind.

I went back to the TC site only to realize they had scrapped all that rigamoral for "foreign" bought vessels. Boat HIN, description and make including length and I think propulsion type was all they wanted. I did have to indicate it was imported into Canada but nothing more.

I hit submit on the web form and almost instantly got an automated email with a file number that would become my license number. A day or two later another email with the permanent license confirmation and that was it. A very rare example of de-cluttering government process (although I'm sure cost reduction was probably the driver...)

I did have one funny experience running the North Carolina numbers up here. I had parked the boat temporarily in an empty private slip to go grab something from my car. One thing led to another and I got delayed getting back as I has chatting with someone.

Walking back I saw the marina manager coming toward me smiling. He said there was a guy in his office ranting about the "God damn inconsiderate American" who parked his boat in his spot.

The manager laughed and said to me "You got the only US licensed boat within 50 miles of here so I figured I'd find ya around here somewhere." LOL

Sorry, my southern boating brethren to besmirch your good name!

Here's an older pic of me hangin out, being an American, flauntin' my Carolina roots! :)

avpicScout1-1.jpg

Last edited: