Seeking suggestions choosing a good older bow rider

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy an older bow rider for a mix of cruising and fishing. I want a bowrider so I can make the front into a casting deck.
I almost looked at a late 80's Bayliner with an 85hp Force, but after reading lots of bad about that combo, I am running away.

Currently, I am considering a really clean 19' Rinker, an 80's Thundercraft and an 70's aluminum 18' Starcraft.
The Rinker is at the top of my budget, the Starcraft well under that, but with two pretty old motors (main and kicker)

Any specific boats I should seek, and likewise, stay away from?

Same thing with drivetrain...I hear OMC with ford combos are terrible?

Outboards more flexible for repair and replacement?

I dont want to end up with junk, but I dont have tons of cash to play with either....any advice would be great

If there's closed bow boats that can also be modified to bowriders, I would consider those (especially aluminum as I dont like working with fiberglass)

Waters I like often have a lot of rocks. I like smaller bodies of water, though a deep hull would be nice for short forays into lager waterbodies

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Aluminum hulls usually also have alum. internal structure meaning you don't have to worry about stringer rot. You still have transom and deck potential rot. Older doesn't necessarily mean avoid. PO care is the primary ingredient. Personally, I liked the older engines better. Thinking back on most of the engines I had, I never did any work on them. Just put premix in the tank and go. Course a lot has changed since then and some of it will be with you regardless of your selection of old or new.

A heavy deep v monohull is not all that stable so I'm told, at rest and low speeds, takes more hp to operate, and limits your shallow water/beaching operations, but very soft riding in a chop. A light weight semi-V is rough riding in a chop but is a better shallow water boat and is lighter and easier planing requiring lower hp. In rocky areas, the shallower running boat would be your aid and you want to stay with aluminum for a prop.....no SS.

A boat is usually is not a do all device. They are very function oriented so decide what you want to do primarily and concentrate on that. I spent the better part of 35 years and lots of money trying to find such a boat and for me it didn't exist. So I had several and each was functionally specific. That solved that problem.

Having had both, my preference is outboard, 2 stroker.

Rinker and Starcraft have survived the test of time....definition of quality basically. Never heard of the other meaning I can't say one way or the other.

My experience with boats is that they are always (nearly) too small on the water and too large otherwise. Food for thought.

Last if you are normal you will never be satisfied with what you buy, regardless. Always wanting to improve this or that, wish you had this or that......opinion,,,,, based on factual experience!

Good luck.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you need to figure out what your main use of the boat will be ...if your going to mostly fish , then the probably don't want carpet in your boat or any thing that cant be rinsed out ..as for make ..it all depends on how well its kept up ..a well maintained bayliner will work just fine even with a force combo ... do stay away from the L drive bayliners ... I have a old1975 glastron 156 that runs like new, so don't let age be a issue either as long as the boat is maintained well .. there are plenty of older boats that have years of service left in then .. just take your time the right one will come along ..

southkogs

Staff member
Why not look for something like an aluminum center console? Good boat for rockier lakes, mostly setup for fishing, but should cruise fairly well too. Not as fluffy as a bow rider, but probably comfortable enough.

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With older boats it is all about condition and how they have been cared for. Brand imo is not as important when you are getting in the 25-30 year old range. I started last year with a Bayliner 85hp Force combo. Loved the engine - very simple and easy to work on but hated the boat. The boat felt "cheap" and definitely hadn't been cared for the way I like to take care of things. Nevertheless we used that thing a ton before selling and buying my Sea Ray. Absolutely love my 26 year old sea ray. Solid floors, stringers, motor mounts, etc. Runs great. But not a fishing boat.

The choices you gave above I would go with the Rinker, but that is just me.

jkust

Rear Admiral
As for these older boat's you are searching for, it's hard to find one that old that hasn't been abused or neglected by one or several of the previous owners. I see so many of them on our lake that are mostly visitors at the resorts that are just beat to heck. It's not the brand or even how cheaply it was made. My dad has a 1984 Bayliner with an 85 on it that he bought brand new at the boat show. The interior looks like it just rolled off the factory floor but the outside needs new decals. It was a crap/everyman's boat back then but that he simply kept it up. It's not bad boats, just lazy, corner cutting owners.

Tnstratofam

Commander
We own a 88 20 ft fiberglass Stratos bow rider with a 350 OMC Cobra setup. Not a desirable drive setup because of OMC being out of bussiness since 02 or so. We originally planned on using her for cruising, water sports and fishing. Fishing was quickly ruled out because of the cost of a trolling motor that could move us being high. $1200 dollars or so for one powerful enough to move her around.

We bought an 81 16 ft aluminum Starcraft Super Sport bow rider with a 75hp Chrysler outboard. Even with me replacing the transom ( $150.00 in parts. ) we're still only into her for about $1500.00 after 3 years. I added a casting deck and have only the bow seating and the two console chairs so the stern area is open for fishing. She is powerful enough to tube and ski behind although the Stratos is more fun.

I think the Starcraft is a good all around boat and she has a shallow draft which helps in fishing. The Stratos is in dry dock waiting repairs but she is allot more comfy and allot faster.

The Admiral wants the Stratos back so that project will have to be finished.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Further to my story of my dad's 84 bayliner that he bought new back when I was young boy, to date he has only replaced spark plugs. The 2 stroke 85hp Force engine has not required any maintenance or parts. While I don't condone it, he hasn't replace the impeller but he will also use armor all on the seats which is a huge no-no and very old school thinking. Point is the boat is an ancient relic kept looking new (yes everyone thinks their stuff looks new but even this crappy quality bayliner has stood the test of time) using common sense. Take the lazy out of people and every boat on the lake would look nice salt water excepted of course.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you to everyone for your thoughts. I certainly hope I did not offend any Bayliner owners here, that was not my intention. And I suppose like anything I read on the Internet, there will be those who love them and those that hate them. Just like the Chevy Dodge Ford thing. I too have owned products that were considered to be a little lightly built but with care, they lasted as long as anything else.

As for trying to choose a boat to fit everything.; I do understand that one boat won't fit all purposes perfectly. I would like something that I can fish in but I am not a hard-core fisherman. My wife is more about reading and relaxing. What I would like to do is find a happy medium that would allow her to be comfy while I sit up front fishing. We would also like to do some pleasure cruising and travelling through Lock systems etc. Not something we want to do in a fishing boat. Somebody else suggested buying Two boats suit each purpose. My problem is I don't have room to store extra boats trailers etc.

I also never considered the cost of large bow mounted trolling motors, but that is something I need to consider. My brother suggests that I stick with aluminum for weight (smaller motor size requirements, fuel consumption, towing and launching ease etc., not to mention I am a metal man and fibreglass is foreign to me. )

I know that I'm narrowing things down to the equivalent of a needle in a haystack. If I could create my ideal configuration, it would be front casting deck, two relocatable swivel seats at the controls and a full width lounge seat at the back.

I may keep my eyes open for an aluminum Starcraft or other aluminum boat with an open bow and create the interior I'm after.

Has anyone here successfully converted a closed bow boat into an open bow? That's something that's within my means if it's not a foolish endeavour. ( considering strength)

UtahBoating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone here successfully converted a closed bow boat into an open bow? That's something that's within my means if it's not a foolish endeavour. ( considering strength)

Haven't converted one but thinking out loud here. It seems most closed bows the helm sits further forward in the boat. If you were to convert it - it would be a very small open bow I would think. Others will chime in I am sure.

Tnstratofam

Commander

Check out this thread by jasoutside.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...air/378440-1976-22-starcraft-islander-rebuild

He took an aluminum Islander ( A cuddy style Starcraft ) and turned her into a big water bow rider. A worthwhile thread to give you an idea of what can be done.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Aluminum Starcraft 16-18ft.
It would suit everything you mentioned and more.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You won't offend anyone stating what you have read. I almost bought a Bayliner Cuddy Capris with a 90 Force L drive in 89'. I didn't and from listening from those that did regretted it. Jkust's Dad got lucky and obviously was glad it worked out. I bought my former wife a Hyundai when they first came to market and that car was solid as a rock, oil and filters in 5 years.

My 94 StarCraft Superfisherman 190 with a 115 Mariner O/B and matching electric start kicker and throttle controls. It is as versatile as they come. I keep her in the best condition I can as did the previous owner. Move the snow white seats that look nearly new around and I have 2 casting platforms and use my bow mount troller. Take all but 2 seats out and 2 can dance in the thing long line trolling on the Great Lakes and she can handle big water. There is so much room for a boat under 20', my wife has enough room to catch rays in the bow and she's nearly 6' tall. Take the bow seat out and I can cruise the rivers and lakes leisurely with 4 adults with plenty of leg room, even with 2 kids. Those 3 live wells become coolers. The full Bimini camper top with side windows that have been on once goes up and everyone stays dry if it comes down. We could sleep on it if need be by taking all the seats out and storing them on the bow. That my friend is versatile. I'm going to have to find out how to post from Photobucket and show her off.

As everyone agrees a 25 year old boat in great condition is better than a beat up boat 5 years new. I'm biased but you can't go wrong with a good condition used StarCraft. I paid 13K for her 7 years ago and was told I can get the same today with all the add ons I have put on her.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks everyone! I am on the hunt for a Starcraft...actually have a 16' super sport in my sight with bow seating. Retro green and all

jkust

Rear Admiral
I agree...If I was going to buy an old boat with a small budget, I would avoid the fiberglass and I/O's I think. It boils down to do you want a project or do you want to boat? Outboards are so often bullet proof and there isn't any hiding rotten stringers on aluminum boats as fiberglass.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you. Definitely made up my mind. Going to find an aluminum Starcraft bowrider and definitely an outboard

Last edited:

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had an '83 16 foot Bayliner with the 85 HP Force. Bought it in 1985 for $4700, used it 2-3 times a week for 8 years. Went to Lake Powell, introduced the family to water play, and then sold it for $4400. Put an impeller in it once. It was no battleship, but I was able to go boating in my early 20's, and the boat was virtually free to own and use.
Did you ever say what your budget was? I am a fan of older Four Winns, although I like the fiberglass floor that started in 1996. They are well built.

skipper123

Seaman
Like said above avoid glass and IOs so far after 45 years on the water at 10 years old I run from wood and glass, cause wood and water dont mix well.