What is a 1969 Mercury 80 hp outbound that runs great worth?

CarolS

Recruit
What is a 1969 Mercury 80 hp outbound that runs great worth? We had it rebuilt before we stored the boat. It runs great and the boat is shot. Not sure what to ask for it. How do I find out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard. The value depends on where you live. If your in the midwest, near the great lakes, about $300 with controls. If your in Canada 500 miles from the next motor for sale, maybe 3 times that.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Scott my bud just bought a 72 65 hp merc for 5 bills Canadian.He,s currently refinishing a 16 foot lapstrake Courtney craft woodie so he will make his money back and more sold as a nice combo.Your right, up here in northern Ontario fresh water, old motors that run good sell for much more than they would in Florida for example.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
In FL you would need to pay someone to take it away.

Bkok33

Seaman
What is a 1969 Mercury 80 hp outbound that runs great worth? We had it rebuilt before we stored the boat. It runs great and the boat is shot. Not sure what to ask for it. How do I find out.

Look on Craigslist and see what they are going for there and it should give you an idea.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
In FL you would need to pay someone to take it away.

Yep, in FL, it's a fresh water only motor that won't last in the brine. Mercs of that vintage has steel drive shafts. Stainless shafts showed up in the mid 80's

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Actually stainless steel driveshafts in Mercs showed up in the mid-70s. Too late for that motor though...