Wanting to purchase a new cover for towing, which one?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you want to tow with it, I highly suggest having a canvas shop sew in reinforcement vinyl where the cover contacts the windshield and other sharp points.You may also need to add tie down points.

I did look up the cover on the Custom Accessories page. Not super sure this will work for towing since it is not a custom fit cover.

Put it on your boat and take a picture of it.

Last edited:

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Does yours go down the windshield or snap at the top of it? Covers that snap on the lip be it the gunwale or the windshield can get wind underneath it.

Here is mine:
cover2.jpg

I like that; never seen one that snaps over the windshield like that rather then on top. Now you've got me wondering if I could get mine modified by sewing additional canvas on. Of course I'd have to put snaps at the bottom of the windshield then too.

On topic, I have a custom fit trailerable full cover made by TaylorMade for my boat. It's a "trailerite" model in Ultima fabric. I think I bought it here at iboats, but I can't remember. Anyway, It fits excellent and I've trailered with it over 1000 miles when I moved from NY to SC one winter. The one thing you have to watch out with on trailerable covers is the straps that attach to the trailer frame to keep the cover tight. Make sure you pad, tape, or do whatever else you have to do to keep the straps from rubbing on the hull or you will certainly damage the gelcoat or paint. I used fuzzy seatbelt shoulder pads to keep them off the hull itself, it worked excellent. Beside long trips, I also trailer uncovered as I live very close to my launch.

Last edited:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I purchased my custom fit Sunbrella cover for my Chaparral from a Ebay vendor. It fits well and trailers well.

jkust

Rear Admiral
My previous boat I towed for 7 of the 8 years of owning it. I used the snap on cockpit and bow covers. I don't even know how many miles that thing got towed but while it never came off I could tell that by the time I sold it, some of the snaps didn't seem as snug as they used to be. While the cover, a TaylorMade that came with the Chaparral from new, said never to tow it faster than 35mph, I ignored that and went with it. My point is that if your boat is a 2005, it may just need some snaps replaced that are new and tight. Also, I towed it with tall enough vehicles that there really wasn't a lot of wind action on the bow and so maybe you are possibly towing with a lower vehicle?

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
When tieing the cover on, do not tie it to the frame but rather run the tie under the hull to the tie on the other side. Ever watch a boat on the trailer going down the highway? it moves around quite a bit, if the tarp is tied to the trailer frame the boat under it is moving and the tarp may scuff the finish or rub through at the windshield corners; and on one boat I saw actually rubbed right through the gelcoat finish.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
When tieing the cover on, do not tie it to the frame but rather run the tie under the hull to the tie on the other side.
Boats like mine and the OP's don't move at all on a trailer so he shouldn't have an issue.I can see how yours might have that problem though.

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got the cover on today. Fits pretty good, maybe a little loose on the bow but fairly tight through out.
20160724_100538_zpsmygxorgc.jpg

20160724_100556_zpsff92a6nz.jpg