Wanting to purchase a new cover for towing, which one?

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I am in the process of looking to purchase a cover for my boat. I will be using it probably 2 times a year and only for trailering (boat sits in a garage when not in use not outside). We are heading up 200 or so miles on vacation for a few days so i would like something that would hold up for the journey. There are so many to choose from i don't know where to start!? I would like the color to be either red or gray. Our boat is an '05 Rinker Captiva 212 open bow I/O with factory swim platform.
IMG_20130914_125419_553_zps9b8922bd.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Every cover I have ever had and tried to tow with destroyed itself when towing. I recommend towing without a cover

ziggy

Admiral
if ya get a cover that yer gonna tow with, it will have to be custom fit to your boat (made to fit right and very taught all around). either made for it by the factory or custom fit by someone who makes boat covers. 200 mile @ 75mph is gonna be putting whatever cover to the test.
i'm with SD ^ i tow w/o cover too. also, less prep time at the ramp. and yep. i been rained on. soaked the inside of my boat. it takes a few nice sunny hot days to dry it out when soaked. less if it's just a mild rain. still, imho, better than towing a balloon behind me. good luck in your quest.

Bkok33

Seaman
Like Ziggy said if you don't get one that's fits your boat prefect and is tight. You are gonna be towing a big ballon for 200 miles that is gonna kill your gas mileage.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like Ziggy said if you don't get one that's fits your boat prefect and is tight. You are gonna be towing a big ballon for 200 miles that is gonna kill your gas mileage.

Not to mention the tarp rubbing on the finish. Take the cover off and display your pride and joy.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Towed my 18' starcraft bowrider for many years with a custom built cover without issue but the key word here is "custom fit". Any over the counter covers will be short lived. Proper covering material and a custom fit is what is needed to make it last. Make sure to tell the cover maker that it will be towed as that will have a big impact on the material and how it fits. Over the years I have had many covers made and yes there can be a difference so be sure you get someone that knows what they are doing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I went thru two cockpit covers on the searay (direct from searay) before the light went on in my thick scull.

Yes, some people are lucky and their covers last towing. I'm not that lucky.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
A properly fitted cover is one that does not allow air to get under it from the front and does not chafe the hull. I've made covers for most of my boats and adding what amounts to a bow bra (similar to a nose bra for a car) deflects air so it can't get under the cover. It also helps protect the upper part of the hull from sand blasting. All of mine have been snap down designs and for outboards, have had the engine cover built in as well as separate. Allowing air to escape from the back of the cover can actually cause the cover to suck down rather than billow up. For your particular boat, adding one strap just behind the windscreen would go a long way at preventing ballooning. due to the airplane wing effect. There is a very low pressure area in this area at highway speed thus the ballooning effect. The cover must prevent air getting under it from the bow to a point about 1/3 of the way along the hull sides.

Last edited:

Bkok33

Seaman
Silvertip how hard was it to make a cover? Would be interested in figuring how to do that.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My suggestion is to tow with a custom made snap on mooring cover and have a full cover for all other times. I make my own covers and I don't even tow with a full cover anymore even though I make mine to be towable.

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a mooring snap cover already. I tried to tow with it and it kept coming unsnapped. Maybe a custom cover with the mooring under it?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Does yours go down the windshield or snap at the top of it? Covers that snap on the lip be it the gunwale or the windshield can get wind underneath it.

Here is mine:
cover2.jpg

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I have an 18 ft. Bow rider. I have a nice cover by Classic Accessories. Model D Lunex RS-2. It has 3 built in straps that go across from port to starboard. One across the bow, in front of the windshield, the other two across the cockpit. There are three tie down straps at the bow, so no air gets under the cover. It also has two vents at the back to let out any air out. This cover does not "balloon". In fact, it does the opposite. It sucks down onto the boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Unless you have a very heavy duty sewing machine, the proper needles, thread, material, and a bit of sewing knowledge it is not difficult, just time consuming because you don't have a pattern and need to make one. My boats are primarily aluminum walleye style fishing boats so the cover is designed to roll over the rail and snaps are placed on the bottom of the rail, not the side or top. Air cannot get under it from side. The windscreen is removable the cover is essentially flat except where it needs a slight pocket to fit the wheel. Since there is a trolling motor at the front, I made a pocket to cover it, only because it did not have a quick release. My other boats all had removable motors so this was not an issue. The nose bra was just that, a bra that covered much of the bow about 1/3 down and overlapped the cover at the top. No wind gets in, the cover cannot balloon. Do not use cheap grade vinyl. I used vinyl on two boats but it had a very thick backing and it worked nicely. Vinyl has a bit of "give" to it. There are other canvas type fabrics (Sunbrella) is just one. Look at the stitching on a store bought cover to give you an idea how the edges and seams are done.

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does yours go down the windshield or snap at the top of it? Covers that snap on the lip be it the gunwale or the windshield can get wind underneath it.

Here is mine:
cover2.jpg

My mooring cover snaps to the top of the windshield and over the engine hatch. It also has a cover to cover just the open bow part.

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The one that snaps to the top of the windshield come unsnapped once in the one time I used them while towing. The freeway where we are headed is 70mphfor almost 200 miles and if I remember right last year I was doing 60mph when it came unsnapped

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It would be far better if the rear cover snapped to the base of the windshield.

Maybe the next one you have made should be made that way. Also keeps more sun out

Last edited:

Sherminator

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I went and ordered a Custom Accessories Storm pro cover. I will report back when i get it and install it.