2013 Chaparral 206 SSI Fuel Gauge not working

alexvelarde

Seaman
Please help... my fuel gauge reads empty with a full tank. When I turn the key to the on position the needle moves to full and then quickly returns to empty. When I turn the engine on, the needle does the same thing. The tank has a Royce Flexi-Sensor 8" fuel sender. How do I know if it's the sender?

Alumarine

Captain
To test the sender you have to remove it and test the resistance with an ohm meter.
Depending on the type the readings will be from 0-240 ohms.

alexvelarde

Seaman
This is what the sender looks like. It does not have the tradition float... How do I test this kind?

flexi_sensor_.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Actually, the picture that you posted is the inner workings of the sender. If you take the entire sender out, it should look something like this . . .
flexi_sensor_01.jpg

And you would slide the dark colored cylinder (which is the float) up and down the tube to change the resistance.

I put a similar sensor in the fresh water tank of my boat last year.

Last edited:

alexvelarde

Seaman
So how does the inner part of the sender and the part with the dark cylinder float connect?

alexvelarde

Seaman
I tested the fuel gauge and it works. Also, I manually tested/moved the black cylinder float and the fuel gauge reads the sender correctly. But when I put the float in the tank it does not float. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement float? I would prefer not to have to buy the whole set.
fetch

alexvelarde

Seaman
I contacted Royce Industries and they sent me a floater free of charge. Everything works now... Thank you so much for your help!!!

alexvelarde

Seaman
No Title

So the black cylinder floater is not working again... It does not float. I got a new one from Royce Industries 2 months ago and now it's not floating again. Is there a reason for this?
Everything else works fine... When I move the floater manually the gauges read everything the right way... I can't believe these floaters are going bad so quickly.

Attachments

• photo253194.jpeg
    photo253194.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
So the black cylinder floater is not working again... It does not float. I got a new one from Royce Industries 2 months ago and now it's not floating again. Is there a reason for this?
Everything else works fine... When I move the floater manually the gauges read everything the right way... I can't believe these floaters are going bad so quickly.

Probably a discussion you should be having with Royce. I am wondering if the float is not the proper material for the application?