Alumacraft Cuddy Cabin Luxury Liner

Blakshep

Cadet
Can anyone give me any information about this boat? What year it was made? etc??? I don't know how to upload pictures to this space so any help would be appreciated. It says upload attachment and then it tells me invalid file. Has anyone ever heard of this boat?? I know it was made before the cruise about and that is about it.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Click on the Forum Help link in the sig below and look at the photo posting tutorial. As a new member, you need to make 3 posts before attaching pics or use Option 3 in the tutorial, which is a pasting method and is about the easiest way to add pics to your posts.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I've looked at countless Alumacrafts in person, seen hundreds posted online via multiple boat forums, and have never seen an Alumacraft Luxury Liner or any Alumacraft that looked similar.

Perhaps Luxury Liner is descriptive rather the a model name,

I checked for info where I usually do and came up empty. I've asked 2 guys that know a lot about big vintage tin and Alumacraft boats to stop by and see if they can help.

Interesting boat. Outboard or I/O?

I think I may oof seen similar big round hoop grab rails at tthr back of a big tin cruiser before, but cant remember where or on what, but I'm fairly sure it wasnt on an Alumacraft.

Good luck.

Blakshep

Cadet
It used to belong to a man up on Leech Lake who guided people in Minnesota. At one time he had two Johnson 60HP outboards on it. There used to be an historian for Alumacraft who passed away about 20 years ago and he had a brochure on it and was going to send it but passed away. Evidently , we think, shortly after the war Flour City Metal in Minneapolis quit making airplanes and went into the boat business. They planned to build two of these Alumacraft prototypes and only made one because of the expense involved. That was what he told us but now nothing, I don't think, can be verified. If you look at the panels inside the boat you will see that they closely match the panels inside the Cruiseabout. http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=7083430&d=1400778287.. It would just be nice to know if this is an Alumacraft (which I truly think it is) but Alumacraft has no one to verify it and if it is a one of a kind or any more background on it.

Blakshep

Cadet
It is 19 feet which is the same as the Cruiseabout and it also has a splash bar only half way on the boat which is the same as the Cruiseabout. If you need more pictures I can send them via email. Any information anyone has is welcome.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, interesting story.

More pix would be great.

wbeaton

Commander
Amazing. I've never seen one of these before. It's bigger than the Cruiseabout, which I thought was he biggest. Very cool. I'd love to have it.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo247202.jpeg
    photo247202.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo247203.jpeg
    photo247203.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo247204.jpeg
    photo247204.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 2
  • photo247205.jpeg
    photo247205.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo247206.jpeg
    photo247206.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo247207.jpeg
    photo247207.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo247208.jpeg
    photo247208.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo247209.jpeg
    photo247209.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo247210.jpeg
    photo247210.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo247211.jpeg
    photo247211.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class
image_247212.jpg

Thanks for the notice jbCurt. I have heard tell of a model called the Luxury Liner. Here's an Aluma Craft ad or news release from 1953. This looks to be the identical hull of the later Cruiseabout. I've read of a couple of models that preceded the Cruiseabout, one is the 'Cruise Liner' and the other was called the 'Big Boy'. I have a 56 Cruiseabout. That looks like the same trailer my Cruiseabout is on and I believe it is original. My trailer is tagged 'Alumacraft' but I don't think they made it.
Cruiseabout resized.JPG

Last edited:

Blakshep

Cadet
That is amazing to see a picture or an ad advertising the boat. Thank you so much for posting. It is definitely the same. Any idea of how many were made?? I cannot find a number on it but I will look into it a bit further now.

wbeaton

Commander
For some reason I thought this boat was over 20'. It must be based on the Cruiseabout hull. I would love to see some interior photos, as well. Also, the trailer looks like a tandem axle Tee Nee, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
That is amazing to see a picture or an ad advertising the boat. Thank you so much for posting. It is definitely the same. Any idea of how many were made?? I cannot find a number on it but I will look into it a bit further now.

The serial number is usually on the center support for the transom.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^

And Alumacraft is one of the few (if not the only) company that will provide you info if you give them the Ser#.

The contact ph# is posted here somewhere, plus I think an email address can be found on the Alumacraft website.

When I emailed them a Ser#, it didnt take 24hrs to get a detailed reply.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
I really look forward to seeing this project develop. That is one classy vintage boat and a daddy to later aluminum cruisers.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i ran across one like it last year and have a picture some place but had no idea what it was

Blakshep

Cadet
The only number I can find on the middle of the transom is CC and it is definitely stamped in. I have been in touch with alumacraft but they just do not have anyone who knows anything about this boat. I will forward this number to them and see if I can get a response.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Look on the knee braces up under the splashwell, not the transom itself.

On this 50s 14ftr, the number was hard to see, but it was stamped in the top edge of the knee brace in this pix:
IMG_0014_zps31e67829.jpg

Just as the brace curves down to nearly horizontal

Blakshep

Cadet
Alumacraft has since acknowledged this boat. Their historian has said it was a prototype and was made in 1953. It was probably the only one made and it came before the Cruiseabout. More details will follow when they become available. It was called the Luxury Liner. I am waiting to hear more from the historian. I am hoping to be in contact with him soon.