1983 Wellcraft

avbug

Cadet
I am looking at a 1983 21 ft. Wellcraft bow rider with a 260 HP engine, Merc outdrive. Have not seen the boat yet in person, probably this weekend. Not finding much info about it but I do have a photo of the title.

Suggestions on where to get info and any general comments about older Wellcrafts are greatly appreciated.

Bill

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

What kinda' information are you looking for? Wellcraft is still in business, so you could check with them for technical details. Otherwise, condition is kinda' the key to used boats.

Nothing wrong with a Wellcraft, they're good boats.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
We had a later model, around 88-89, cuddy cabin of the same length. It was a good boat. As stated - condition is key. Pull the cowl and inspect the engine compartment, transom, etc. Check for spongyness in the floor. If it has a wood swim platform like ours ensure the wood is solid and the supports are sound. You may use a hammer, mallet, or block of wood to tap around and listen to the thumps. If you hit a mushy spot you'll know. That may lead to rotted out stringers. This is one reason I won't be looking at fiberglass boats in the near future. That and the primary waters I am in are very rocky (lake of the woods in Ontario/MN).

Check over any wiring you can access. If you can get a peek behind the helm do so. You may find some pretty ugly wiring if someone decided to do a hack job themselves.

Test run it. Not just water muffs on the driveway. Put the boat in the water. Feel it over wakes and listen to it. It should feel solid.

Check the trailer over. Ours had to be rebuilt as one of the front leaf springs broke out of the hangers going down the road. Luckily we weren't on the highway yet, but it canceled our trip out on lake erie that time...

avbug

Cadet
Good info, thanks. Was looking technical information. Have found out it is a 200 Elite. Seats have been replaced but not original configuration, guess at 33 years old I shouldn't be surprised. Has been kept in a storage unit for a good portion of its life. Water test ride mandatory for me to consider purchase.

Not too concerned with engine, electrical, trailer. Good with all those systems, Particularly concerned about water logged foam. Been through that with another boat.
Considering taking to a weigh station prior to purchase.

Do the fee based boat history searches provide useful information?
Is NADA valuation accurate?

southkogs

Staff member
Well ... HERE's your reading assignment :) With used boats, condition is the key - especially at that age. Going to a weigh station would be good, or even paying a local marine tech to take a look at it would be worth the service fee.

Fee based searches are not worth it IMHO, and NADA can be a good starting point. But looking at comparable boats in your area is usually the best route. The same boat selling here in Middle Tennessee will have a different value than one selling up in Montana or down in Florida.

avbug

Cadet
Really good checklist thank you. Wish I had looked at it prior to testing the boat yesterday!

Test drove the boat yesterday. Strong and smooth. Impressed until we got back to the dock and the bilge pump operation was demonstrated, quite a bit of water. Even more water when the drain plug was removed. 20 minute ride, no swimming.

Assumption is the stern drive through hull area is the most likely area for water penetration in a fiberglass boat. Didn't see any obvious signs of deteriorating rubber but hard to see everything.

Loved the performance but I have a feeling I should walk away.

southkogs

Staff member
Does the PO know when the bellows were last changed? Perhaps that's where the water was coming in from. If you could confirm that and negotiate the repair cost out ...

... otherwise, yes, water on the wrong side of the fiberglass is a GREAT reason to walk away.

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
If the transom is rotted the water could becoming in around the I/O transom assembly. But I wouldn't walk away until I knew for sure. A mouse could have chewed on the speedo line and that's where your water is coming from. Or it could be something as simple as a loose hose clamp on the motor. Worth checking out if you like the boat.

avbug

Cadet
Seller took it back to his mechanic and he found a loose bolt in the swim platform. Said it was pretty loose, replaced bolt and sealed. Bellows were replaced a few months ago. Will take another look this weekend.