How Much Have You Spent On Your Boat Year To Date

RGrew176

Commander
I decided to run a spread sheet this year on my boating costs for the year. Maybe its a good idea maybe not so much. It is interesting to see where all the dollars go.
help.gif

Here is my latest and greatest. I have yet to buy fuel but that will soon change.

Item Cost

Trouts Yacht Basin Summer Dockage $1,200
Garmin EchMAP 94sv GPS $1,112.99
Standard Horizon Explorer GX1700 VHF $264.99
Perko (New Cabin Keys) $5.10
Boat Detailing $850.00
NAPA New Battery $98.59
Boaters Value New Shower Head $26.49
Shakespeare 8900 VHF Antenna $178.07
West Marine Oil Extractor $74.19

Total: $3810.42 and counting.

tpenfield

Staff member
I spend a similar amount each year and also have kept a spreadsheet of the items and their cost for many year running.

I categorize the spreadsheet items as . . .

1)Maintenance - Normal stuff that needs to be done on a regular basis (so things like oil changes, launching costs, mooring, winterization, etc.)

2) Repair - something broke and needs fixing

3) Upgrade - adding a new feature or enhancing something. (this year is was a windlass to automate the anchoring)

Then there is the fuel . . . which is about $1,200 per year.

total cost ends up being about $4,500/year.

My previous boat was about 1/2 of that.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral
Not counting payments and fuel
Cap and rotor - $50
Plug wires - $112
Replacement hatch skin and installation - $600

End of season about $100 for oil/filter/impeller and antifreeze

Fuel runs about $40 a day (1/3 tank or so)

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I keep a spreadsheet also... my family makes fun of me for it, but I know where every dime goes on the boat. I know when things were done, who did work, where I bought stuff. It is amazing how many times that has come in handy. I log trips, how the boat ran, if I find something than needs to go onto the todo list.

So far this year:
Upgrades : $884
Maintenance $525
Fuel: $136 (That represents 11 outings so far, 14.3 engine hours).

I was getting a lot of outings in, but have not been able to get her out in two weeks due to a family emergency. Looking forward to getting on the water this weekend.

jkust

Rear Admiral
So far this year:
$1,300 for replacement impeller and housing (Bravo 1 not Alpha), new exhaust shutters and two replacement motor box struts done at local marina.
$100 for 40 gallons of gas used of 60 gallon tank
$5.87 for replacement Shakespeare marine antenna mount as I drove onto my boatlift with the antenna in the up position and snapped the mount. The only thing not stainless on the boat and can't imagine the damage if it had been.
$30 for three larger fenders
$12 for new throwable
$30 for large aluminum emergency paddle to keep in ski locker
$230 new boat-only Maui Jim's
$75 various marine detailing and cleaning chemicals
$600 for five new trailer tires.
Maybe some things I'm forgetting
________
$2,352.87 so far.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Do I get to include the mortgages on the 2 houses I bought on the river, so I could have a dock to dock at,..??

My barge I bought nearly 20 years ago for $3500.....
I've spent 10s of thou$and$ on it, 'n it's still worth 'bout $3500.....

Boatin' is a loosin' money proposition no doubt, but I won't quit til I can't crawl onto the boat,....... ;) :)

R055

Chief Petty Officer
2003 maxum 1900 sr 4.3 mercruiser - $6000 after taxes and title fees
Gas 92 octane with ethanol- $400
Oil & filter- $50
Life jackets- $250
3 timing covers- $100
Polish & wax- $100
Bunch of small things too lazy to write out- ~75$

Total not including boat: ~$1000

southkogs

Staff member
I don't think I've got much more than $500 this year ... including gas ...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I spent 1 BOAT unit this year to date. about 3 more to go be for the boat is back burning fuel. Admiral wants it either re-gelled or repainted. That will be another 1-2 BOAT units. I have 3 spreadsheets to cover the same categories as Teds ( includes house, yard, boat, vehicles, etc), however I got depressed when I updated it realizing that time and money are a fleeting thing

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Impeller, $19.

Fuel, $58.

Going to add a fuel line shutoff valve. $15

mr 88

Commander
3 electric downriggers,24 rods and reels,copper.braided,mono,leadcore,steel. Electric throttle controls, hot water, tank , heat exchanger for cabin,500 gallons of gas, 8 filters,8 gold rod holders,Traxstech rod holders and tracks, terminal tackle and lures, trolling bags,rebuilt steering helm,anodes,wiring for downriggers,3 batteries,sub troll,bogo grips,wash down pump,insurance,dockage,documentation,class a1 life jackets,windshield wiper motor,bottom paint, I can go on but wont. I would say I have spent 8000.00+ this year.I have about 3 places I keep expenses so the War Department doesn't see what I have dropped so far .

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Well so far this year....complete head job about 300 plus gasket set 100 plus oil/filters, etc 60 and so far 80 in fuel. Woops forgot the governor had 50 in license fees. makes just a bit under 600

boatman37

Lieutenant
i spent about $200 on cleaning supplies (wax, polish, etc) and $70 on fuel but i will be adding to that tomorrow. about $50 on a carb kit and carb cleaner. tomorrow i will be buying a new rope to keep onboard for locking, etc, and a couple of LED's. oh, and about $1350 for dockage and electric at the dock

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
$0.00 so far this year, I filled it up the day after Christmas and haven't put a penny into it for anything this year.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I filled the tank at the end of last season, so no fuel cost yet.

250.00 to install a self-launching bow roller and make mods to the bow pulpit
800.00 for a major service to the outdrives (DIY)
300.00 for hull and outdrive antifouling paint (includes 100. I paid a kid to paint the bottom for me)
180.00 to transport the boat from driveway to launch ramp
1500.00 summer docking
200.00 miscellaneous stuff

So, $3200.00 or thereabouts. I budget $600.00/month in a separate account to support the boat. That includes annual operating expenses, plus saving up for major items like mani's, risers, full tune-ups, upgrades and the like. It doesn't include trips- Martha's Vineyard last year and a week-long trip this year. Those come out of our vacation fund

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have two boats. The small one is about 1/3 the fuel+oil of the larger one.

Large Boat:

New shift rod cover $50.

Mooring whip line $9

Web straps for Bimini top $10

About $100 of gasoline so far.

$25 for 2 cycle oil (Wallyworld)

Small Boat:
in-line fuse holder, fuses, ring terminals $20

Aftermarket PTT motor $200

About $36 for gasoline

$18 2 cycle oil (Wallyworld)

Note: Gasoline is under $2/Gal for the first time in a long while. So, The elected jokers here in NJ wanted to raise the gasoline tax by .23/gallon, likely to fund their continued Pork Barrel Spending. In the end, 60% of the residents hated the idea, and the Senate refused to vote on the bill. It looks to be dead for now.

So just the fatso Gov and the idiot Assembly have egg on their faces.

They would be smart to pull this stuff early in their terms and in the middle of the night, so people forget, if they plan to have a long career in politics.

Sorry for the rant....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
As with any hobby, if you want to play, you have to pay. But the cost shouldn't be the determining factor in any hobby.

Years ago when I still hunted religiously, If I factored in the ATV's the deer-stand construction, the cost of daily trips to and from the hunting leased area and the true cost of that lease the firearms, scopes, ammo and all the equipment, I could have easily bought the most expensive top rated steak man could find and easily come out ahead. But that didn't factor in the total enjoyment I received being in the woods with my two teen sons. And there is no cost that replaces those experiences in my opinion.

Same with boating and fishing. The cost of the boat, the upkeep and work effort to have totally zero problems when on the water are mere nothing compared to the enjoyment with family and friend that one receives when out on the water. Of course anybody could buy fish a zillion time cheaper, but you can't buy the fund and experiences, regardless the money.

Presently I am still rebuilding my small boat, so I have zero cost at this time. Yes it has gone over three years because other life event take precedents. But once on the water again, that cost would be minimal as well. JMHO!

jkust

Rear Admiral
I guess I didn't include my waverunner as a boat. The waverunner gets most of the hours and I think I've spend about a million dollars worth of gas so far this year. I keep waiting for the green authorities to come and arrest me for using so much gas.
Oil Extractor $25
$28 Yamaha Marine Grade Oil (i.e. with marine rust inhibitors) that I couldn't find anywhere but the dealer three quarts,
$30 Yamaha oil filter again nobody carried it but the dealer
$14 for four spark plugs - Difference between the cheaper plugs from auto parts store of the same brand as Yamaha dealer is they aren't the correct gap
$3 Spark plug gapper

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I average around $1500.00 CDN per season including fuel for my StarCraft Superfisherman 190. I do 90% of my own maintenance. I really don't want to know exactly how much it costs, kind of takes some of the fun out of it. It is what it is.