Please help buying a boat

Lcp-angler

Cadet
I am looking at a 22ft sun runner cuddy cabin the boat is In mint condition inside and out but it has one flaw the motor is seized up an the guy doesn't know why the out drive seems to be fine it goes into and out of gear easy prop spins when in n and it locks In gear the motor is a 190hp 3.7 v4 he is asking 1700 for boat and trailer. Is this a ok buy even if I cannot rebuild the motor and have to buy one

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard LCP:

IMHO - for a few hundred bucks, I might take a chance if the boat was in great shape. But really - you don't know if the outdrive is any good 'cuz ya' can't run it. That means you can't run the boat on the water and see how it handles and what works and doesn't. In short ... the whole thing is a gamble.

Sight unseen ... I'd say it's too risky.

Now if the hull looks like it's just come outta' the showroom - and you're cool with a few grand for a new drive - it might be worth it.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I would pass. That engine it small for a 22' in my opinion.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
There are so many problems and potential problems with that I would run not walk away from that.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Do uou know much about boats? Mint is relative. If truly in great shape and you have a couple more grand for motor go for it. Wont be a speed deamon but that is plenty of power.

tpenfield

Staff member
Mint condition with flaws is a contradiction in terms. I agree with the other posts in paying a lower price than mentioned as the risks are largely unknown. Try to find out what the boat would be worth if it were in fully operational condition and figure in what the costs are going to be to get it that way and give yourself some leeway to cover your risks. That should get you to a fair value to be paying.

shrew

Lieutenant
The transmission is in the outdrive/outboard. Shifting the shifter into gear, only couples the gears together. Think of the prop like a wheel. Of course it spins in neutral and locks up in gear. This has nothing to do with a seized engine. Look at the cost of replacing the engine, plus the labor, then add that to the purchase price. Now price working boats of the same year, make, model.

It is very easy to get upside down in one of these ventures. On the other hand, you didn't mention the year. Repowering a used boat is a reality. If you're looking to own this long term, this might not be a bad deal.

The admiral and I have discussed this many times. Our ideal boat would have blown motors.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ok that is not 'mint' at all - but looks ok. You know how to check if the structure is good?

and 'seized over the winter' means cracked block so 99% chance motor will need replaced.

Important thing here is to know if the underlying structure is good or not.

Lcp-angler

Cadet
No I do not know how to check if the structure is good on a boat I am just starting out so I have a lot of stuff like that to learn I did happen to find another boat for sale it is a Mark Twain 210 fso It's gotta cuddy cabin 21 foot it has a 150 Evinrude Outboard on it I'm not sure of the year I'm going down to look at it tomorrow to find out what year it is is there certain things that I should look for when I go down tomorrow to see if this is going to be a good boat for me or not it's going to cost me 900 for the boat and trailer and the guy said that the engine ran but it's been a few years since he's had it in the water it's from a marina that rents boats out said they took it out of the water and put it in storage because it didn't get rented often enough to be in the water

southkogs

Staff member
Look through HERE.

If you're new to boatin' ... I'd leave that Sun Runner alone. Too risky.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Being seized doesn't necessarily mean the block's cracked. Could be hydrolocked. Has the owner tried removing the spark plugs? And, does the owner consider it seized because the starter won't turn it? If so, could be as simple as a bad starter or solenoid.

The plugs need to be removed and the crank turned via a breaker bar to fully diagnose "seized"...

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Few points. Just my $.02

Structure condition is the key. The second boat you mentioned isn't necessarily any better because it has a running motor. (or does it even run?) It's stringers and transom could be shot.

Around here if it runs and floats and has a solid floor, it's worth about $2500. But the sun runner doesn't run. So, it's worth starts dropping relative to the costs to make sea worthy. Plus a little extra because it's tough to sell a non-running boat. Also around here, I know where I could locally pick up a good, running replacement motor and drive for about $800. But you'd have to be willing and capable of removing and replacing the engine and drive. Figure $200 for gaskets, fluids, hoses and misc and the max on the boat is about $1500. Plus the aggravation factor/unknowns. I'd go over there with 10 x $100 bills or walk.

Weak transom, soft floor, wet stringers, rotting wood. These are the keys.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
I think you should find a boating buddy or someone who knows about boats before you jump into anything. First time with a boat having a blown motor doesn't sound like much fun to me, if you want to be on the water this season....I would shell out a little extra and buy something that you can actually put on the lake and water test it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
As a newbie to boating I would run away from any boat not running. I can't make a judgement on condition based on 4 photos. There could be a myriad of problems on a boat that OLD, and it is old.