How do I adjust the trim tabs?

Attachments

• photo246702.JPG
    photo246702.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Button on the dash, port and starboard up and down arrow usually.

The OP doesnt have helm adjustable tabs, he is running nauticus smart tabs or similar. would have to refer to the installation manual of them. its basically a spring on a slider in a boot

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea, they are manual tabs. I didn't know if they are adjustable or not. I didnt want to take boot off if I didn't have to.

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't have a manual and don't see a brand name on them to look up.

JonBrown

Seaman
Scott is very correct. You will have to remove the boot for any service or replacement spring.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
At the point where the strut attaches to the tab, are there multiple holes where the strut might be moved to?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
They sure look like Nauticus Smart Tabs to me. Here's a link to the documentation...

http://www.nauticusinc.com/trim_tab_installation.htm

You can ignore any references to the 'SX' series of tabs. Yours aren't them. Finally, Nauticus has really good customer service. Call them if you don't find what you're looking for.

It's possible that the OP doesn't know how they work, and is confused by the fact that they're fully deployed and he can't find a way to raise them. These tabs are automatic. When the boat is running at low speed, the tabs are deployed to reduce bow rise under acceleration. As the boat picks up speed, water pressure on the actuator causes it to retract so the boat will plane out. They're a great option for small boats, and I've installed 2 sets of them on different boats - a 21' walkaround cuddy and a 16' aluminum.

My .02

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Scott is very correct. You will have to remove the boot for any service or replacement spring.

That isn't correct. If there's a problem with the actuator, you replace the actuator. They're cheap ($31.99 each per the website). Nauticus doesn't sell replacement parts for the 'internals.' If the tabs only need adjustment, that's done at the upper and/or lower mounting plates.

OP needs to read the documentation.

My .02

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I understand now how they work. I believe they are the Nauticus brand. I assume they are working properly if they are automatic. Not sure how much pressure it should take to move them.

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine have the purple tie wrap. Looking at the pricing information the purple tie wrap is a 30Lb spring. My boat which is in my avatar is only 13' long and has a 70 hp evinrude. Is the 30lb what I should have?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
What issue are you having that you need to adjust the tabs? From what I can see they are flat and not in the down position as they should be.

My 18' boat has 60# models with a 205 HP V6, I think 30# is as low as they go.

fetch

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
And from the pic, it looks like very poorly installed. Brackets not lined up, and I suspect the tabs are too high on the transom. (hard to tell without a pic from below) I'd also question how well those holes are sealed.

Last edited:

Watermann

I don't like piling on but another concern is that the tabs are mounted in the wrong location, it looks like that one is way too close to the center of the transom and is only a few inches from the motor mount. Maybe a pic taken low of the entire transom would help.

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The reason they are flat they are resting on the bunks for the trailer. I just purchased boat week ago. The boat is only about 5-6 ft wide. Seats 2. I am attaching a video. The boat does not have power trim and it was in second to lowest hole. Also, the prop is wore out. Got a new one yesterday. One on boat is 17" pitch. New one is a 19" pitch.

Well never mind with video. Can't figure out how to get it from quick time video to a usable file ext. for this site

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Pics of trim tabs and back of boat

Attachments

• photo246785.JPG
    photo246785.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246786.JPG
    photo246786.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 0

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Pics of tabs on boat.

Attachments

• photo246785.JPG
    photo246785.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246786.JPG
    photo246786.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 0

Watermann

Ok, I see you have a slot for adjustment and the way the tabs are set now is at the least amount of lift.

You may want to think about getting those bunk redone, the livingroom carpet someone put on there isn't doing too well now. The bunks look too long too and shouldn't be compressing the tabs.

fetch

randyray41

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea, its a work in progress. I agree bunks are about 8" to long. I plan to cut them down.

I see what you are saying about least amount of lift. If I adjust the bolt that is on tab down it will provide more lift?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
As the tab in the picture is configured, the lower adjustment is in the maximum lift position. If it isn't providing enough lift, you might need to get stiffer actuators.

Some SmartTabs have an upper bracket that allows the tab to be swung up (like if you need them out of the way for trailering). Does yours have the adjustable upper bracket?

Last edited: