1996 Bayliner Capri 16' OB, listing to the right? Bow too low?

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good day IBoaters!
Just bought a 1996 Capri with a Force 50 on it and took it for a spin. The PO didn't mention any issues and it seems to be in pretty good shape. Runs well at idle and WOT, mid range good as well, I do have an engine question that I'll do some more searching on before asking that question.
The question I have for this forum is two part.
1) How is my boat supposed to sit in the water? :help: Just floating, not moving, what is "proper" level etc, where can I check it to see if it's right? It feels like the bow is lower and the stern is high, but I'm not sure if it's just the way it's supposed to be or not (previous boat was aluminum fishing boat).
2) It feels like it's leaning to the starboard side at mid throttle. Low speed and High speed seem OK if not completely OK, at least better.
The boat has no trim or tilt options and I'm not sure how to work with it, what would cause it or if it's something to worry about.
The boat was bone dry after the day on the lake, performed and handled pretty well (not sure what poor handling looks/feels li
If it has waterlogged foam, what is a non-destructive way to tell or dry it out? It's been sitting in my driveway for a couple months bone dry the whole time.
Any and all suggestions gratefully received...:hail:...........
Thanks y'all...............

southkogs

Staff member
Sittin' in the water the bow should be slightly high on most boats ... almost level. If you're sitting bow low, make sure you don't have anything under the seats adding weight ... then maybe, while on the trailer, raise the bow way up and see if anything leaks down over an afternoon while you're doing stuff around the house.

If you're not getting too much wander at low speed, and on plane you're not having any issues with listing one side or another, I would take a guess that you're experiencing force from the prop rotation. Possibly look at where the motor is set for trim (usually a pin behind the transom) and see if the trim tab down by the prop is way over to the right. But if the boat's running well at hight speed, I don't know that I'd mess with it too much.

There is a possibility that IF you've got something waterlogging the bow, you're plowing at the wrong time and that's producing your list. Based on what you've said so far, I don't think so, but it's possible.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks very much, not sure if this motor has a trim tab? Is it the Anode exhaust piece? I'll see if it's adjustable when I get home.
Thanks again!!
Nick

southkogs

Staff member
Not a trim tab ... most of the outboards have a "pin" of sorts that runs laterally across the mount, just under the motor head. It's usually adjustable.

The other tab is potentially an anode, but it's down by the propeller. Many of those now have rule marks so you can measure a little better.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gotcha, so if I want to be a little more Bow High, I'd put the pin a slot higher correct?
I'll check the anode for adjustability as well, thanks much.
Great help, love the boat, first electric start, feels like I've entered a new realm.............
:peace:

southkogs

Staff member
The closer the pin is to the transom, the lower the bow will stay (or potentially plow). The further the pin is from the transom, the more the bow will trim up.

Yes ... it's nice not havin' to "tug-a-war" start an outboard.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, news from the lake. Took the boat out over the weekend and raised the pin one notch on the transom. Boat came up quickly and planed out nicely, no list either way at WOT. Bounced a bit on chops, but settled down quickly and didn't feel like it was going to come apart at all, felt very solid. Responds nicely in the water when cornering, but the bimini top feels like a damn sail when the wind kicks up. This boat is super sensitive to weight moving around even a little bit and would appear to be subject to small adjustments either way. When looking at the motor in specific, the solid tab just above the prop (anode?) it appears to be asymmetrical with what would appear to be an opening causing a "push" to the right designed into the anode itself. I'm not sure if that's a design thing from the manufacturer or a way a shop may have "trimmed" the operation of the boat previously?
Any suggestions?
Thanks all, SUPER fun little beastie, but I think this is going to be like having a motorcycle........"OK, that was fun, how about some more power"......kind of thing.
:bounce:

southkogs

Staff member
Been a while since I looked at a Force, but there should be a trim tab (what I think you're calling an anode - which it may be as well) that is adjustable. Helps counter the rotation of the screw on the outboard.

Glad the list is gone for ya'.

roffey

Commander
SUPER fun little beastie, but I think this is going to be like having a motorcycle........"OK, that was fun, how about some more power"......kind of thing.
:bounce:

ya, more power and two more feet... yup very common ailments. The only cure is buy a bigger boat... LOL. Have fun and enjoy.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks roffey kinda getting that picture. Is there such a thing as a good tow boat AND a good fishing boat? Pretty sure the boss won't be too happy with me trying to keep two boats.....

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks roffey kinda getting that picture. Is there such a thing as a good tow boat AND a good fishing boat? Pretty sure the boss won't be too happy with me trying to keep two boats.....

Tow as an pull tubes around or also wakeboard/ski? I see alot of aluminum boats with 150-200hp outboards on my local lake and they're fast and pull tubes nicely. Never see anyone wakeboard behind them though.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, tubes for now but I have a feeling it's going to develop as well. Thanks!!

Bkok33

Seaman
Somerowl, I know the feeling about keeping the boss happy. I have a 19ft Bayliner Capri with a force 125. It works well with fishing and it will pull a tube with no problem. But want to get a little bigger boat for more room. If all else fails clean the boat up and make it better. Sale it and get a bigger boat.

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks BK,
Maybe I could buy yours!!
Thanks for the response, sounds good.
Nick