Almost done with new High Performance engine.

NHGuy

Captain
Well, I was off Sunday Monday Tuesday of Memorial Day Weekend.
Sunday I did the drive bellows.
Monday started rainy, Got my carb apart In the garage changed the secondary jets.
Then It cleared up.
Installed a new section of fuel line. Rigged my gantry and installed the engine Monday, Tuesday morning was spent getting cars ready for state inspection, so I lost that time.
Tuesday PM got back to it, Found my dropped rear mount spacer in the bilge. Bolted up the rear mounts and set the alignment. Cleaned and connected my main pos & neg cables. Rigged the power steering hydraulic lines. Connected the cooling water, got 1 side of the exhaust on and by then it had gotten so hot that i just hit the wall.
I literally can install the other exhaust side, some exhaust hoses to go about 4 inches, and the shift plate. Oh and I have to find where to connect my warning beeper wiring, I cut it during the deconstruction and can't remember where it needs to go so I'll need to do some headscratching and wire checking.
Then once I install and lube the drive I can turn the key.
So looking forward!
383 front view dressed before installing.jpeg

ps, don't flame the spark arrestor, I have a bigger one on order.

NHGuy

Captain
I'm jacked. Can't legally go over 45 on our lake, but it's good to be able to accelerate in mid rpms like I could in my small boat. And I needed some more holeshot.
Now I have to remember to go easy on the drive.

Last edited:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I'm jacked. Can't legally go over 45 on our lake, but it's good to be able to accelerate in mid rpms like I could in my small boat. And I needed some more holeshot.

Nice motor!

It is SO easy to get away with >45MPH on the big lake. Just don't head toward (plus or minus 30 degrees) any other boats within a half mile while you are doing it. Speed radar only works accurately if the target is going straight toward or straight away from the radar set. A 30 degree angle of incidence will yield a speed reading of 45 MPH if you are going 52 MPH The greater the angle of incidence, the lower the indicated speed will be.

roffey

Commander

you need my speedo. it is sort of accurate to 45 mph, after that it goes down. WOT will read about 38 mph.

NHGuy

Captain
Yes I fired it on my redneck run stand. It sounds loud & nasty. Plus it has a lope.
I had to run it to check for oil pressure and that it was properly balanced. Both were good. Ran smooth and had bags of psi.
Once I have it in the boat I expect it won't be as loud, the exhaust goes into a chamber in the swim platform before it exits.
I hope it's the same sound level as the previous motor was. Our lake has a sound limit. And the marina I use is just past the lake patrol. So I will be passing the patrol building and docks whenever I go out.
If it's too loud I'll get some mufflers.
Fortunately older boats such as mine have a little more sound allowed. I haven't read the regulation lately but I think it's 95 dB for older boats and 90 for later ones.
I just want to go riding!

NHGuy

Captain
Yeah I have seen people going fast. I'd just never say that I do it, on the record!

R055

Chief Petty Officer
makes me sad when I see people building pieces or art like these and I can't get my timing cover to stop leaking with out using a whole tube of rtv sealer.

NHGuy

Captain
Let me guess, 4.3 engine right? They are a known tough seal. I'd do some research here and on other forums to find folks who have "won that game."
BTW Mercruiser Perfect Seal is some of the best sealer there is. And a can lasts years.

NHGuy

Captain
Ran it on the muffs yesterday, set the timing, mix & idle today. Now I have to wait 2 weeks for a lake day, aargh. Father's Day plans are not wet.
Guess I'll fire up the the polishing wheel.
Might get after the rainwater leak in my forward compartment too.