Trim won't work but motor does

Jrau8851

Recruit
I just bought a 1986 bayliner with the Volvo penta and when we left the lake the trim wouldn't work and I know nothing about bouts could someone please help!!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Get a service manual on your engine. May be as simple as a blown fuse to the trim drive, or a bad trim switch if you only have one. If you have an up and down relay, swapping them helps sometimes if one is bad......in your case you swap the up and the down, and then the engine will drive up but won't drive back down.....bingo....smoking gun...the relay, or your fluid reservoir is low or empty, or your motor is bad.........

JoLin

Vice Admiral
More info needed. Are you saying that when you operate the trim switch, you can hear the trim motor run, but the outdrive doesn't go up or down? If that's the case, you first need to check the level of fluid in the trim pump reservoir. It might be low/empty.

Last edited:

rlamothe

Seaman Apprentice
My 1987 Bayliner had an electric tilt motor (switch by the key not on the throttle) that was used to lift the out drive for trailering/shallow water. It took me a while to realize that this was not a trim motor in the sense that it would not raise the out-drive while underway and in fact could damage the electric motor in doing so. While this may not be the case with yours, it was a good lesson for me.