Need some words of encouragement (if possible?)

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I'm feeling mighty dejected after my first run out this year. Much to my appreciation, the 454 fired up cleanly and performed rather well. We went out for a quick jaunt into the bay to run the engine up and then came back in at a gentle cruise.

Getting back into the slip, however, has me back on boattrader.com this morning. We had ~10-15 MPH winds with gusts up to 20 pushing me directly off of my slip (in the slip, my bow faces North, wind was straight out of the West, and I slip port-side stern-in). We also had a ton of rain off-and-on, so the current through the marina was pretty swift. Despite having two dockhands at the marina prepared to catch a line for me, i could *not* back her into the slip. After about 5 or 6 ugly attempts (bow and sometimes entire boat blowing over into the empty spot next to me, blowing over almost 45 degrees into the neighbor finger pier etc) and a bucket full of colorful language, I finally got it in by coming up perpendicular to my slip having the girlfriend toss the midline to the dock hand and pivoting it around the mid-line into the slip.

Is a 28' mid-cabin with a 10' beam too much boat for a single I/O? I've seen my buddy handle his 28 footer with single 454s beautifully, but his profile is a lot lower and squattier, with much less windage. Did I purchase a boat that is inherently going to be near impossible to maneuver in certain situations, or is this one of those "stick with'er kid" things that will get better with time and practice?

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Probably a stick-with it situation. Perhaps in a repeat situation, if possible, hang out away from the slip and let the wind settle a bit then go for it. Practice in zero to gradually increasing winds until you nail it. Granted, there may be conditions where it may be a little edgy to navigate into the slip. Only you and experience can determine what that point is. I certainly wouldn't consider a different boat after a failed/troubled attempt to slip her. I was in Green Bay a couple weeks ago and checked out Lambeau Field. Born and raised in Wisconsin I've lived in Minnesota since 1964 but I still pull for the Packers. Go Pack Go! Are you now encouraged??

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Definitely stick with it. I run a 265 hull but 29' overall length with a single 350. I dock stern in, to starboard. In a river!! :eek:

It makes you feel like an idiot until you get the hang of playing the current and the wind. But they say it's not the skilled captain that hammers her home on the first try, but the one who does it confidently without banging her up even if it takes 4 or 5 tries.

You really should see the look on first time passenger faces when I start the turn around the gas dock (well north of my slip) so I am already in position as we drift by my slip. Then back her down.

You'll be fine. Practice. Practice. Practice.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
While learning
Line the rub rails with the FAT pool noodles cut in half the long way held on with duct tape... and LOTS OF SOFT BUMPERS!
Looks like heck... but you won't be chipping up the boat. Let people laugh at it.
Anyone you accidentally bump will be glad you did it.

Then when you have the practice and don't need the bumpers, the tape residue comes off easily with "Goo Gone"
You'll still want some of the bumpers hanging off at the docking cleats and safety rail stanchions when docking...

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks. It's supposed to rain this Saturday again, so I think I'm going to bubble wrap the heck out of an empty slip in the boonies and go blow a half-tank of gas just repetitiously coming in and out on Sunday.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Hang in there. We all went through it as we step up in boat size. I used to dread pulling into certain places in my 33', it was really a point of stress and I would avoid certain places even if I wanted to go there. I would let moderate winds keep me in the dock just because I was worried what it would be like when I came back in.

I have twins but with the outdrives so close together and the dual props, you park her like a single. I never have more than 1 motor in gear at a time and constantly turn the wheel. It took me a full summer to quit trying to park like every other twin engine cruiser I've driven / been on and learn how she handles.

This is my 4th summer and we enjoy the boat more and more each year because I'm used to it now. I'm not stressed when docking (most of the time) and a lot more relaxed all of the time because of it.

Just keep practicing. Early on, I got an experienced boater on board with me, gave some people at the dock some beers to act as my fenders and practiced docking at my slip. Really helped with my confidence level.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Thanks. It's supposed to rain this Saturday again, so I think I'm going to bubble wrap the heck out of an empty slip in the boonies and go blow a half-tank of gas just repetitiously coming in and out on Sunday.

That's the right idea. Don't feel bad, and try not to feel stupid. You want embarrassing? 2 years ago I took a 2-inch chunk of fiberglass out of another guy's bow pulpit. The learning never stops, but you DO become fairly proficient at it over time. I've gotten pretty good at docking mine, but I still have big issues when the wind is stiff and my canvas enclosure is up. I'm working on that...

My .02

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Many a time I've tried to back up to one direction or another only to have the boat completely ignore the fact the steering wheel was turned completely and just go straight back. And this is with NO wind. And it just so happens I found out with our 28' Regal, just yesterday, that TWO engines won't necessarily make it back up any better, especially IN the wind!

It can be frustrating for sure!

NJ224fs

Recruit
Can I chime in.... Need encouragement too.. Lol. My first season with a boat... Bought at the end of last season and only had it out once... Slipped at a marina and it's nerve racking. This year is paid an extra $10 per ft for a more private slip, just so I have a little more room and privacy when docking. Oddly enough, when they put my boat in they put it bow first. Went out this weekend, conditions were good, so I did the same. But it is rattling me to the point of I feel like I mad a bad decision.... I'm not new to boating, just never owned or operated my own as an adult.

jforrest1

Seaman
No Title

I feel your pain. Marina keeps slips tight so there is not a lot of room for error. I keep practicing because of personal pride...and there is nothing better to nail the landing and have your guests be impressed on how well you handle the boat!

Attachments

• photo245146.jpg
    photo245146.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 0

Maclin

Admiral
Hang in there, it can be handled, there is procedure for everything except maybe a hurricane. Like jforest wrote "...nothing better to nail the landing and have your guests be impressed on how well you handle the boat..."

:)

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Bump it in and out of gear (forward and reverse) to kick the stern over where you need it to be without moving much. This can mean going from left full lock to right full lock with the wheel between shifts. A speed knob makes this a breeze. The boat will typically respond better (the stern will kick over to the desired side further) to forward gear bumps.

Your fix of getting a line made fast to something solid, then springing off it, is often normal practice for difficult docking. Use this technique every time, even if there's no wind, and you won't have to adjust your routine for weather. Google "using spring lines for docking".

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Should have seen me motoring my little 14 ft sailboat away from the trailer a couple of days ago.

the boat was going exactly sideways at half throttle on the 2.5 hp outboard.
Looked nutty, I'm sure... But I just went with it till I was clear enough to drop the daggerboard so it would go straight.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Coming over to power boating after sailing, I KNOW, I made every "Bone Head" mistake one can make!
Try going out in the channel or bay, find "something" to dock into, (a life jacket in the water, anchor bouy, etc.) and practice.
I read a great book on power boating that helped me a great deal.
One tip I do, as soon as I get near the docks, ALL my bumpers come out, lines ready, crew instructed what to do, I look to see what is going on wind current wise.
I come in slow, real slow, no massive corrections-make my game plan early, line 'er up, outta gear, turn outdrive the way I wanna go, in gear, out of gear, turn wheel, my crew grabs the cleat with a boat hook and we're in.
Watch how everyone else is doling before you head out, look at how the current and wind is affecting boats docked up.
And, do it again and again, and again.....
Even seasoned pros screw up!
One thing you will learn, when you do it PERFECT, not a soul around to see.
Screw up, the WHOLE world is watching!
Joe
Always remember take any advice I give with a can of beer er 2!

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I feel your pain. Wind plays havoc with my docking techniques here on Erie. The first mate and I have developed a sort of fool proof way to control the behemoth when the winds are honking and pushing us off the dock. I'm sure there is a technical term for it but we use a line thrown over the outermost dock post and connected to the second forward cleat. Kinda like a spring line in reverse. Once the line is dropped over the post the slack gets taken up and the barge is forced over to the dock. If you're able to keep one of the drives in gear it will hold to the dock until you can lasso another line on her. It's not perfect but after taking out my neighbor's rail last year I needed a plan. I also deploy fenders on the side away from the dock in the event I contact my neighbor's boat.